Saturday, July 8, 2023

Sometimes Angels Appear

We have now entered the portion of BreyerFest Prep where I am basically running around the house and yelling at random inanimate objects and everything I do is an EPIC FAIL.

Need to spray paint something? It starts to rain on your project.

Have to print out your Samplers? The cheaper toner cartridges you bought for that are absolute crap and you have to go back to the store and buy the name brand anyway.

Then you find a kinda significant typo in the ones you did print out so far. (Screw it, not reprinting; label them variations and get on with your life.)

The contact paper you need to finish another project? It’s out of stock at the one store that normally has tons of it, so you have to drive across town to the other... 

But at least I was able to procure an obnoxiously colored t-shirt without incident; I considered coming up with a fancy logo or something for BreyerFest back like I did in the ancient days, but I have run out of both time and enthusiasm, so its garish hot pink magenta-ness will simply have to speak for itself. 

I also purchased some Faygo Firework, for those among us for whom even Light Beer is a little much. (it’s like Mountain Dew: Summer Breeze, but without the caffeine. Tastes better IMHO but yo, native Detroiter here.)

The Sampler has been published online; printing the paper copies will be one of the 300 or so things I have to finish this weekend. The writing went relatively easy this year, which may just be because I didn’t have the time to fret over it. Deadlines can do wonders for your clarity! 

(But not your proofreading skills. Oof.)

Speaking of writing, I did actually spend two minutes reading this year’s Hugo Award nominees. I did not make the short list! Not that I was expecting to (I’m no Chuck Tingle) but hey, stranger things have happened…

In some model horse news, apparently some of the BreyerFest auctions are already in the WTF range. Except the Pacer, but I think that’s because (a) the Pacer’s never been a huge favorite even among Vintage collectors and (b) the initial photo had a freaky-weird bend on his front leg which now appears to have been fixed. 

But a lot of collectors don’t trust Reeves’s photography, so they might just be holding off until they see it in person and can confirm that it looks “normal” again. I’m skeptical it’ll stay that low, and you know my heart belongs to another. 

(I am willing and able to go up to $1500 for an auction piece, BTW.)

And finally I’d like to give a shout out to Catherine and Skittles today, a lovely reminder that when you are having an epic fail of a day, sometimes angels appear.

3 comments:

Suzanne said...

Another Pacer fan here- although I have only one.

I enjoyed the Sampler- yes, the Stock Horse Foal is fascinating- such a little oddball! I mean, I always figured Breyer would commission Hess to sculpt a horse based on a description. If they asked for a family of quarter horses, why are the mare & stallion walking, but the foal is standing at attention? Was he meant for Lady Phase? And I love that he is in fact stocky.


Anonymous said...

Where can I find your sampler? I’ve only been able to find one from 2020, and I really wanna read it! ~Lily M.

Lydia Lepic said...

I got the pinto Standing Stock Horse Foal as a birthday present when he first came out in 2002. So cool to find out he's a bit of a special baby. I've always loved him with his sweet face and leg barring. Primitive colors have always been my favorite. He lives on the book shelf with Buttermilk, my other beloved.