Saturday, July 1, 2023

Goodbye, Vita Louise

She came to me in a dream last night. She rolled over, got on her feet, did a play bow and one of her weird little howls that always made me laugh. 

Then she ran off, and I knew I couldn’t follow. I woke up and knew she was gone. 

You were a terrible dog. Willful, disobedient, vain and dramatic. You ran off frequently, jumped into the arms of strangers with disturbing ease, and were occasionally vindictive with your bowel movements.

But you always came back to us. Whenever we were sad or sick or stressed, you were there for us, right to the very end. 

Thank you, Vita, for giving me that last little moment with you before you left; I’m so sorry I couldn’t have been there for you more, near the end. 

We will all miss you terribly. The house is already so quiet without you.

Her name meant life, and she was full of it. 

Death is before me today: 

  like the recovery of a sick man, 

  like going forth into a garden after sickness.

Death is before me today: 

  like the odor of myrrh,

  like sitting under a sail in a good wind.

Death is before me today: 

  like the course of a stream;

  like the return of a man from the war-galley to his house.

Death is before me today:

  like the home that a man longs to see,

  after years spent as a captive.

https://www.consolatio.com/2009/06/ancient-egyptian-death-is-before-me-today.html

25 comments:

L. Robinson said...

I am so sorry Andrea. My heart goes out to you. You’ve had a rough go of it recently.

Anonymous said...

I’m so sorry!

Hokieponiez said...

*Hugs to you friend* Goodbye is never easy.

Braymere said...

I am so sorry for your loss.

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry for your loss. I had to put my nine year old Yellow Lab down two weeks ago this coming Tuesday. I was there when he was born and had him his entire life. It still hurts deeply, prayers for comfort and strength in the days and weeks to come Andrea.

Anonymous said...

Losing a dog is one of the hardest things in the world. I lost my sweet girl in December, and I think about her every day. I am so sorry for your loss. ~Lily M.

ELauer said...

So very sorry for your loss, Andrea.

Anonymous said...

Oh no! I'm so sorry! :(

Pam N. said...

I am so sorry for your loss. I have enjoyed reading about Vita over the years. Prayers for your sweet little baby.

Anonymous said...

I am so very sorry for your loss.

Regan said...

I am sorry to hear of Vita's passing, but glad she gave you a "goodbye."

Anonymous said...

I’m so sorry.
Kelly W

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry for your loss. May her memory be a blessing.

MustangAB said...

I’m so very sorry for your loss. My condolences to you and all your family.

Carrie said...

What a wonderful thing, when you're given some small, gentle experience like that near the end; I've experienced it myself. You clutch onto it. Things have been tough lately, it seems. I'm glad I got to meet Vita once, though neither of us were at our best. May all her memories (even the potty revenge ones) become blessings.

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry for your loss, cherish the memories, and that you and your family made her life special with all of your love and attention

timaru star ii said...

The lucky ones are given a small gift. I once had a waking dream about the death of a dog. More recently, I lost my mother; but her gifts to me were anything but small.

You are not alone, though I'm sure it feels like it at times.

Corky said...

Oh, no, Andrea, I'm so sorry to hear about Vita. The hardest part about being human is having to outlive our fur-children. Thank you for sharing that lovely dream with us.

Janie "Lysette" said...

I am so very sorry. Thank you for sharing her with us. May the good memories be the strongest.

Anonymous said...

Oh, I am so incredibly sorry! We never get long enough with them, but I'm glad your time with her was full of love and joy.

Anonymous said...

I’m so sorry. It’s always so tough to lose a family member!

Anna Miller said...

I'm so sorry for your loss, Andrea.

Suzanne said...

My condolences. I'm glad you saw her in a dream. When I remember a dream that is significant, I savor it, and try to find what my unconscious is trying to tell me.

Did I ever mention in the comments, my childhood friend's name: Andrea DeVita! (She also had tiny horses- TB mare & foal, Legionario, the palomino FAM...ah, the good old days :^)

Anonymous said...

{{{hugs}}} I'm so sorry, I've been there multiple times, it never gets easier.

She'll come to you again. They always do. I "rode" my Geym last night in my dreams - he's been gone over 20 years. Lucy K

PixelPerfectStables said...

I am so sorry to hear about Vita :( I haven't been able to catch up with blogs until now for a couple of weeks.