Thursday, February 16, 2023

To Buy, Or Not To Buy

Shows you just how distracted I’ve been lately: I just now realized I’ve been calling Zafirah Ziyadah! And here I thought I was doing so well, never having called Totilas Tortillas… 

Here’s today’s conundrum:

On one hand, here is a Glossy Dark Dappled Red Bay on the Fireheart; on the other, there is my commitment to minimize my purchases this year until I legitimately have my inventory under control. 

Right now my “buy-o-meter” is telling me no: most of the recent Collector’s Club Special Runs of this sort have not been all that difficult to obtain after the fact, including Lafayette. If I still need him six months from now, I don’t think I’ll have too much difficulty obtaining one.

Plus the Vintage Club and Stablemates Club releases were just announced: that pretty much blows my model horse budget for the month anyway.

Too many hobbyists, I think, make the assumption that models fall into only two categories: expensive, and worthless. As someone who finds value and worth in every Breyer mold – but is also a cheapskate who has a hard time spending more than $300 on any one model – I am not one of those people, obviously.  

Most models fall in the “mushy middle”, with their prices bobbing up and down according to whims, fads and fashions. Remember when Khemosabi was a thing? When the original NIB AQHA Horse was selling for $250? Or the $400 1984 Just About Horses Saddlebred Weanlings? 

That’s why I don’t take too much stock in that current line of hobby thinking that assumes that because the prices of Alborozos have leveled off, that the market itself has cooled. 

No, it’s just moved on to something else, as it always and eventually does. There are still tons of models out there being advertised at crazy prices, and some of them… are actually selling. 

Off to plant my pepper seeds now...

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I needed him: glossy, bay, FIREHEART.

Then I went and joined again, this time the deluxe Club, and bought another. Hopefully will get a decent one, and who knows... variation??

Boulder Sheep said...

Hmm, I bought him for the exact same - or maybe opposite - reason. If I don't fall madly in love, he'll be easy to sell for at least what I've paid for him.

While I love my Fireheart beyond all things, I don't have a huge urge to conga the mold. And I'm trying to severely tamp down buying, at least until Breyerfest. But I like the mold and I like the color, so I'm very curious how I'll feel when I unbox him.

Kaivala said...

I missed him ofc I had a medical app already postponed 2 months and by the time I recovered he was long gone and dozens on ebay =<

Anonymous said...

I WANT to conga Fireheart, but the only one I own is the original. I didn't even get a chance at Stein and I wasn't paying the crazy prices right after Breyerfest. And once a model is "gone" I guess I generally don't seek it out on the secondary market. But this guy? Yes, I took a swing and got one! Now I just hope he's a nice one, with nice gloss and preferably dapples. I just wonder why we don't have a regular run Fireheart yet? I would buy a bunch of those up to paint! And yet the new Arabian mare is out as a regular run already!? But whenever Fireheart shows up as a regular run, I will be ready to pounce! I really love this mold! So big and pretty and sassy! The best thing since the Hamilton mold! One of the only few other Breyers that hurts if I miss out on. Hamilton hurts. Fireheart hurts. Most of the rest I am just an opportunist with.

Anonymous said...

I bought this guy. I decided if I don't care for him he will be repainted. Cheaper than Fireheart or Stien.