Friday, February 10, 2023

Taking the Win

Things are pretty quiet here, model-horse wise. I did a very, very preliminary show string for the show in April: the Collectibility section was pretty easy (as I hoped it would be!), but the Stablemates division I wanted to focus on this year? That’s going to be some tough sledding.

And it’ll be a couple of weeks before I can go through my stash and pull out some fresh contenders. My success with the Stablemates has been such a mixed bag lately I’m not even sure what I’m looking for at this point…

To go back to a point I made in my previous post about reading too much into things, I think a lot of hobbyists are reading way too much into those BreyerFest Special Run reveal videos posted on Instagram. They’re a little oddly lit and shot, and what we’re seeing in them is not any more representative of what they’ll actually look like in person than the publicity photos.

Seriously people, nothing has happened to the Brighty mold. It’s perfectly fine.

I don’t think we can accurately assess what the models will look like in person until we see some samples in person, and the first opportunity for that will probably be at BreyerWest, at the end of the month. 

I doubt my opinions or choices will change, though. My choices were based mostly on affection toward the mold, rather than the love of the color. Until we get better (less staged) pictures, all we can do is chillax, and maybe get some crafting done in the meantime. (No painting for me though. Stresses me out too much!)

Now for some actual model horse content:

Here’s a model I acquired last BreyerFest that I only recently unboxed: a Gloss Omega Fahim! I traded my Gloss Jake (the Chestnut Overo Wixom) for him; I’m sure the person on the other side of the trade thought they were getting the better of the deal. 

But (a) both of the models were technically the same price in the beginning, which was free and (b) if both ends of the trade are happy with what they get, so who’s to say one side profited more than the other?

There have been plenty of deals I’ve been a part of where I came out the “winner” financially, but my first and foremost goal when wheeling and dealing is to acquire things that I like and want. Selling is (usually) a secondary goal.

And this model is so gorgeous in person: the gloss really brings out the midnight blue highlights that are almost imperceptible in the Matte version. The Jake was nice – and one of the scarcer Glosses of that particular CCA Sale – but I scarcely glanced at him when I owned him. But the Omega Fahim I could stare at it all day. Feels like a win to me!

3 comments:

PixelPerfectStables said...

I love how the blue tones on the glossy lean more towards the bright, electric blue vs the matte which is more of a muted purple-blue. At least my copies are like that :) I didn't have a huge preference for that particular promotion (I liked them all, at least enough that I had all of the matte versions by then) but I was pleasantly surprised by how much I actually like this one. Also, I opened him in a rush before an appointment and tossed the box without cutting out the UPC. And didn't realize until long after the recycling had gone out. Just gave me more incentive to keep him, haha!

Anonymous said...

Yeah that's definitely a win! Congratulations he is super pretty!

Yvonne said...

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this comment: "(b) if both ends of the trade are happy with what they get, so who’s to say one side profited more than the other?"
I have had multiple people, right after a trade with me, go on-line and brag about how they got this or that excellent deal from someone who didn't know what they had, etc etc. I make sure to correct them that I know exactly what I have and what it is worth. And if it does not make me happy - but your model does - then I shall trade! But don't advertise that you think you ripped someone off! That makes you an amazingly crappy person in my eyes and we will not trade again in the future!