Friday, February 3, 2023

The Choices

Got my BreyerFest ticket order in. Just one VIP ticket: the Fell Pony Scurry and the Lady Phase and Standing Stock Foal set Surrey and Axle as my SRs, and Via Lattea and the Best of BreyerFest set as my Limiteds. 

It’s nothing I think will sell out or be overly popular – I feel like the only ticket buyer who didn’t pick either a Speos or a Wells – so while it might not have been specifically necessary, having all this stuff prepaid is always a load off my mind. I can just go and enjoy the event. And maybe finally focus on finding those Hess Belgians that kept eluding me last year. 

(The list: Gloss Dapple Gray and/or Dapple Black, a Darker-Than-Average Smoke, and an older Chestnut with painted eye whites!)

I am a little underwhelmed by this year’s Stablemate Buggy, another Appaloosa on the Django mold:

While the mold looks good in any color, the fact that the Standing Friesian mold has now come in three different Appaloosa patterns, but still no variation of Black yet… well, it’s getting a little silly. 

I know they do it because spotted horses sell better than solid ones, but considering how pretty (and well-received!) last year’s Glossy Dappled Black Volunteer Model Zeitgeist turned out, you’d think that would have been an obvious choice for a driving-themed Stablemates Friesian release. 

I’ll still get him, because I am not one to pass up a nice bay roan anything, but this is one of those so obvious exceptions to the rule that it makes me want to throw my hands up in the air and just go “Gah!”

(A lot of things have been making me do that lately, to be honest. I wish there was a polite way to tell people they’re being dumb, because that would come in super handy right now.)

That, and the obvious lack of Old Timer in the lineup. While there is a slim possibility of it being the Surprise – it’s probably one of the few true “vintage” molds that is popular enough to work – they tend to go with more recent molds. 

The only vintage mold used for the BreyerFest Surprises was the very first one back in 2009: the Quarter Horse Gelding. Who I think they went with because they were still uncertain that the idea would even work.

(Laughs hysterically.)

If I get another ticket, I think I’ll shoot for Peanutine and the Surprise. The former because it would be easy to sell if I don’t fall in love with it, and the latter because I like (or love) most of the stronger mold possibilities, such as Smart Chic Olena and Forever Saige. And if it’s not something I love, passing the redemption ticket onto someone who does won’t be a hardship either. 

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

If you need a reference for the Django, he's almost spot on for a stallion that was down the road from my horses boarding barn. His name was Grand Design. Not sure if he's around anymore as mine are gone and I don't go out to that area anymore.
He was a Friesian App cross.

PixelPerfectStables said...

Wells doesn't feel like a must have for me. I'm not totally sold on that color, and I'm hesitant because that style of dapples is still hit or miss (thinking about Landler last year). Speos I find intriguing, and the thought of him being the matte/gloss split even more so, but I also haven't committed to him because I haven't seen the mold in person yet.

I went with Peanutine and the Surprise as my VIP picks. I only want the foal from the mare & foal pair, that shouldn't be too hard to find someone who's only interested in the mare. And Scurry is cute, but I'm not going to specifically seek one out unless I get one on an AA draw. The rest I have no real interest in, so I'd trade those tickets most likely if I got them.

I like the thought of SCO or Saige as the Surprise, mainly because I would not likely want to keep them. If they do go with a full on "Western" theme, Bobby Jo would really be the only stock/Mustang type horse that would be "dangerous". I conga her so I'd need all of them (eventually).

Anonymous said...

I’m so anxious about the Best of Breyerfest set selling out 🫣

Tish said...

I did one VIP ticket for a similar reason: less anxiety about getting the molds I want. I ended up with 1 VIP ticket, an on-site All Access, and an online All Access ticket. My mold choices were SRs Peanutine & Nemea and LEs Hark and Tilly. I collect Classics so waffled on Tilly vs. Delft, but am making a very broad assumption that as a Classic Delft won't be hard to obtain. We'll see :) I'm really hoping the Surprise is Forever Saige, I was looking at my Hwin last night and she'd look great pulling a Stagecoach.

Anonymous said...

Good GRIEF, PLEASE NO on Saige. She's been done to death already and was dead out of the box to begin with. This lineup is lackluster enough.