Friday, November 25, 2022

Greenacres

More strangeness in my life: I think I might have sold a vintage quilt to a kinda famous quilting world person? I was packing up a couple of eBay sales earlier this week and did a double take on one of the labels!

It was a beautiful vintage African-American summer top that needed extensive repairs. I purchased it years ago at the local flea market, hoping to make those repairs myself. But in my efforts to get my sewing projects under control, I made the decision to let it go to someone with more time and/or technical skills.

I’m sure I’ll see it again someday. Probably in a magazine I’ll be skimming while standing in the checkout line at Kroger, or something…

Back to horse stuff. Or more specifically, mule stuff:

Some of my fellow Ponies & Palm Trees attendees were a little dismissive of the Green Group models, presumably because of their similarity to earlier releases: the 2015 Limited Edition Jubilation for the Mule Greenacres, and the 2008 Just About Horses Special Run Party Girl for the Strapless Sarong. 

And also, I suppose, their lower potential resale value. (This notion always blows my mind. Unless you happen to also be a retailer, Breyer is under no obligation to help hobbyists make money.)

I’ve been on a bit of a Brown Sunshine kick recently, so it was pretty clear to me that I’d be coming home with the Mule, regardless of secondary market. With the secondary being so messed up now, who’s to say if I even made a “bad” decision, anyway? It’s not like he’s going anywhere anytime soon.

The only member of the entire lineup that didn’t do anything for me was the Duende Golden Sunset; I have no special attachment to the mold (though I wouldn’t mind getting a Fabio, some day) and I wasn’t overly enamored of the color on him. Although my heart was set on the Cremello Five-Gaiter from the get-go (and I got him!), I would have been happy with the Solid Bay Belgian too, the only mold left in the leftovers from the Blue Group.

I am going to assume that the fact that the two Vintage molds used for this event just happened to be the very same ones I decided to focus on collecting this year was purely coincidence. (And I almost got both. So close!)

5 comments:

Lydia Lepic said...

That's really cool about your quilt! (And I also love that you are a quilter too.) What sort of quilting do you enjoy? I've really gotten into English Paper Piecing over the last year since I am a caregiver for my grandparents and have a lot of couch-sitting in my life. I also love a good rag quilt or something small that makes me feel accomplished in a short amount of time. :)

Anonymous said...

All of the models with the exception of the Bouncer were shockingly similar to models that have already been done. It's getting to where it's not even worth it to go to these events.

ANDREA said...

Quilting: I'm a generalist; I do a little bit of everything, including designing my own patterns. Right now I am reconstructing a vintage Dresden Plate top and prepping a large, long-term appliqué project adapted from an old McCall's pattern. After that, I have a pile of projects I want to machine quilt by the end of the year. (I hand quilt, too, but these projects were designed to be machined.)

Exclusive Event models: There are a lot of hobbyists who wish to attend these events for the experience itself, and not for the resale value of the models offered within. If the similarity of EE items to other releases dissuades some people from attending, I see that as a positive thing, because that means other people will have a better odds of getting selected.

Yvonne said...

Anonymous got under my skin with that comment that it isn't worth attending the events based on the SR models. The only event I was ever chosen for was the 1st one in NJ. We didn't get a trove of SR models - just Mauvelous. And I treasure him to this day. And I treasure the time I spent seeing my dad in the actual factory with his eyes all big like a kid in a candy store seeing the hobby thru my eyes after all the years I collected! And I met icons of the hobby, friends I hadn't seen in years or finally met in person! I would LOVE to be picked to attend another Event and I don't care WHAT the SR models are! THAT is NOT the reason for the Events. If it is, that is a sad reflection on the hobby...

Corky said...

Yvonne: sounds like Anonymous might be one of those newly-minted hobbyists who sees it as an income stream rather than a chance to meet other people with common interests, reminisce, and forge lifelong friendships. I'd have to say that's their loss. :)