Sunday, June 5, 2022

Matte Black Dapple

I spent most of yesterday working in my garden: the weather was pleasant and cooperative, and I really needed to work with my hands. All it needs now is weeding and watering: I’m hoping that Mother Nature takes care of the latter over the next few weeks because I don’t have a whole lot of time to spare. 

(My schedule changed again this week, and while it’s not a huge change, it’s still a little bit disorienting.)

I know he is old news by now, but I’m still a little bummed I didn’t get picked for the Matte Ulysses Test Color. It’s not that I wanted him more than any other of the Test Color Drawings to date, I just thought I’d have a better shot at him than with other molds, colors, and mold/color combos.

In this instance I definitely saw more grumbling about the price than usual: does the mere absence of a Gloss Finish justify a $1000 price tag?

Remember the prices of the Vintage Club Matte Claude variations were bringing a few years ago? Those make the Matte Ulysses seem like a deal in comparison. 

(I just want to “win” one of these things someday. I am not going to be picky!)

I find it fascinating that there’s such a disparity between the interest in Matte variations of Glossy releases versus Gloss variations of Matte releases. It’s been so ingrained in us that Glossy = More Valuable/Valued that it sometimes blinds us to the reality that this is not always going to be the case.

It’s also interesting that they considered releasing him in a Matte Finish at all. Other than other Test Colors (like that dreamy Black Roan Appaloosa Saddlebred Weanling from last year) I don’t think Matte Black Dapple has even been a thing. Heck, other than the Warehouse Find Dapple Gray Stock Horse Mare, even Matte Resist Dapple Grays haven’t been much of a thing, lately.

Anyway, I have to skedaddle – I have to type up some stuff for work tomorrow, in addition to having to get up earlier, too.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

That much is pretty excessive for a brand-new OF plastic model that merely has (or lacks) gloss, IMHO... Then again, if there's a lot of people who can spend that kind of money for a new OF plastic rather than feeling too guilty for not using it to help real horses/dogs/cats or something, it's hard to blame a company for taking advantage of them, given they'll just spend the funds on another hobby or horse anyway.

Suzanne said...

Hmm! If only someone had taken the time to do a little extra shading on that guy. Just needs a little more "depth", Legionario sometimes seems kind of 2D

timaru star ii said...

And just how hard would this color be to etch,...??

Anonymous said...

I happen to know the end purchaser is very involved in animal rescue, so it’s pretty rude to insinuate someone’s money should be going elsewhere. Given the market value of rarities, I would hardly say the selling price is Breyer “taking advantage” of someone.

Anonymous said...

@4:56 anon that's good to know!

I understand that it's upsetting when rich folks don't use their wealth to help others, but we shouldn't assume everyone with deep pockets is so selfish.

Anonymous said...

There is a glossy black dapple Ulysses on Chelsea's Model Horses for $180.00 right now