Monday, March 14, 2022

Robin and Nestling

I’ll just say it was a rough weekend, and leave it at that! On the plus side, there was homemade chocolate cake that was freaking amazing…

You probably won’t believe me (something I’m used to, but let’s not dwell) but I’ve been a little obsessed with the Running Mare and Foal lately. I’ve been shopping around for the 1984 Sears Wishbook Running Horse Family Set to replace the set I had and sold years ago, and for a 2009 Fun Foals Collector’s Event Running Mare in Dappled Liver Chestnut that’s technically/allegedly an unmarked Appaloosa, but so beautifully painted I give that bit of weirdness a pass. 

And the Just About Horses Anniversary Appaloosa, mostly because the JAH included in the set has an article I wrote in it, and I kinda-sorta need it for the archives. (The Mare herself isn’t too shabby either!)

So I was kind of delighted at the reveal of the latest Birds of a Feather release Robin and Nestling, on the Running Mare and Foal. They look very similar to the 2014 Web Special Run Mare and Foal Set Vixen and Blitzen, except that they’re Glossy, and possibly Chalky? 

Even though they’ve bumped up the runs on these Web Specials to 500 pieces, and they’re Vintage molds, I’m still not expecting to get picked for them. To be honest, I’m not expecting to get picked for anything anymore. That’s just how the market is right now: if that goofy Christmas Bighorn Ram didn’t happen for me, nothing will.

It’s not entirely a bad thing: I’m still pretty behind with the paperwork for all of last year’s new (non Web Special) arrivals, so getting caught up on all that, and sorting out some of my more questionable purchases (and getting a few of them sold) is a bigger priority. As is getting ready for a live show, getting the garden ready for Spring, finishing two applique projects, cleaning the basement, and finishing my taxes. 

(That’s just this week’s plans, except for the selling part. That probably won’t happen until April, at the earliest. Sigh.)

6 comments:

Adah R. (Spotted Dreams Studio) said...

Why is it weird that she's an unmarked appaloosa?

Anonymous said...

You need to switch over the code on the margin of your blog page! It's CLUBPLUS22 now. :) I really appreciate that you keep it handy.

Suzanne said...

I find the Running Mare & Foal very charming, and have accumulated the common sets. Love the widow's peak on the mare, and the narrow blaze suits the foal!

ANDREA said...

It's weird because Reeves didn't inform us that she was a Appaloosa until the Foals arrived! Would have appreciated a few more clues to her genetic makeup other than the sclera, like striped hooves or mottled skin.

Adah R. (Spotted Dreams Studio) said...

Ahh yes. I was wondering, because she looks normal in the photo (other than the lack of striped hooves and mottling). A few more clues would have been nice! She's gorgeous none the less. :) Her foal is cute too.

Alex said...

They're beautiful! I hope I get picked. My JAH running mare is one of my favorite models, (I got her in middle school and named her Pretzel) and I spent a lot of time with the special issue it came with. Was it the article about decorators?