Thursday, March 10, 2022

Risk Tolerance

Now we know why there was a delay in getting the BreyerFest Contest information posted: they did… stuff to the rules. The Costume Contest is still online and the Diorama Contest requires you to “pre-enter” it online before bringing it to BreyerFest. And some people are still barred from entering because of the legalities involved in that.  

The Customs Contest seems to still be mostly the same, even though I think (personally) that it’s the one contest that needs the most revision. (The “Most Drastic” category is really just an Original Sculpture competition, and you can’t convince me otherwise.)

To be honest, I really don’t have a lot of free time I can exclusively devote to being creative for its own sake, so I feel like I’m the only person in the hobby right now who is not terribly phased by all this.  

I do have a couple of Diorama ideas I might pursue if some free time does open up – one easy and silly, one elaborate and time consuming. I am assuming that 95 percent of the entries for this contest are going to be either Oktoberfest or Christmas Market-related, as will be winners, which might also affect what entry I end up choosing. (If I even do it.)

While I do have Costume Contest ideas, most of them involve a lot of sewing, and what little sewing time I do have for myself (lunchtime, basically) has been spent working on my backlog of quilt projects. So that is likely a complete no-go.

I like that this year’s random category in the Customs Contest involves a relatively unpopular/not often customized mold. I kind of wish it had been something vintage instead of more modern, but going with something that’s currently in production makes sense, since not everyone has easy access to cheap old bodies like I do. The Geronimo mold doesn’t do much for me, though. 

(The three-legged Grazing Foal in my body box, on the other hand, has me full of ideas!)

But anyway, here’s a little of the actual model horse content you come here for: another mystery model!

When I saw the auction lot, I initially dismissed it as either a heavily yellowed Fleabitten Gray Sham, or a discolored Shrinky Bay Sham. But the price was not… terrible, and there was enough evidence there that I decided to take a modest bet on it. 

And it seems to be authentic?

Alas, the model came with no documentation, and the group of models it came with offers no clues to its origins, either. The qualities of the paint job suggest an origin in the 1990s, but it’s clearly not the same Buckskin Sham that was auctioned off in 1998. 

I’m torn between getting him restored and leaving him the way he is; I’ll probably keep him the way he is, because I’m cheap and I’m also unlikely to show him.

Incidentally, this means my tally of “oddball” Shams is now up to four. I swear I don’t have a problem. 

3 comments:

Carrie said...

What an interesting mystery boy! Huzzah for spotting him & deciding to go for it. It would be neat to see him in person someday; my brain's having a hard time seeing the color as anything other than yellowed plastic, lol.

I am the least competitive of persons & rule changes to contests I have no intention of ever entering are just filed under 'mildly interesting brain ephemera'.

Kaivala said...

It reminds me of what some bay littlebit/paddock pals in the newplastic when bleached. The color never came off fully even after weeks the eyes stayed fully black. browns and blacks lighten to buckskin/ grey. I had some duplicates I tried to bleach to paint and they got lighter but not white. Doubt it's the case because idt they used that plastic for traditional and im sure Audrey would recognize if it was. Score you Another neat find.

Suzanne said...

What a strange Sham. But kind of cool, he's almost like an old-school buckskin, except he seems more orangey. I know "buckskin" is not the same as "golden bay", but he's a lot more the color I pictured Sham to be, instead of that dried-ketchup shade of red.