Tuesday, March 22, 2022

Enter Sandman

Darn it, lost another post to a power outage! I was only a couple of paragraphs in, but I totally lost my mojo on that one. 

I spent most of the weekend going through all my assorted ephemera, looking for my old live show paperwork. I found most of it, but a lot of the names and identities of the unplaced horses are still missing. Since they technically don’t “exist” in the live show system (such as it is) it’s not that big of a deal. Other than the fact that it’s going to take some time to re-create, and time is one thing I do not have in abundance.

While I am generally of the opinion that no good comes from keeping things in the closet, some of the other paperwork I discovered along the way should probably stay there. At least until the rest of the participants are no longer with us.

Reading through some of it was reassuring, in the sense that it showed me that my memory is better than I thought it was. Some of the things I remember seemed a little too wild or bizarre to be true, but apparently not!

No, you’re not going to get anything more out of me than that. Like I said, some of these folks are still in the hobby, and may not even remember the incidents involved, themselves. 

It is also worth noting that the hobby has always been kind of… dramatic? Social media is simply amplifying what has always existed. The bigger issue is that people are marinating in that media environment all day, and mistaking it for reality.

But back to the matter at hand. You really can’t really rely solely on your memory: the brain tends to edit and reinterpret things to fit our biases, often without us even realizing it. That’s why documentation is so important in the first place: people can change their minds, but a piece of paper cannot. How you interpret that documentation is another matter, but I’m probably going a little too far into the semantic weeds here.

But let’s go back to reality: I am super excited about the next Vintage Club release, Sandman!

I know a lot of people were wondering when he’d finally show up in the Vintage Club, and I was quite pleased that he finally came to fruition. The documentation I did for him was probably my favorite among the batch I did for the Vintage Club this year. 

(Sorry, no clues on the others. I’m suffering just as much as the rest of you. Just in a different way!)

We haven’t seen the mold much in recent years, aside from the Warehouse Find that was a re-release of the original Smoky, and the 2012 Passage to the Pacific Centerpiece “Surf’s Up” in Florentine that I want dearly but I’m not willing to sell my car for it. 

(The shading in his mane and tail slay me every time I see one. Argh!)

So anyway, I’m going to be scarce for the rest of the month, as I attempt to get my act together for the show on April 2. Today is Stablemates Excavation Day!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't understand why you so often say, "I know something that I can't or won't tell you." Your blog is super interesting when you actually provide bits of history about models, but all the random and vague statements about stuff you're never going to write about - what's the point? Maybe you should just call your blog Breyer Diva instead of Breyer History Diva.

Anonymous said...

Anon- maybe you should stop expecting others to entertain you.

Anonymous said...

I'm in agreement with the 2nd "anonymous" person! Freakin' A--don't we have enough of you "negative Nancy's/Karen's " on other social media forums and Facebook *without* you coming to someone's personal blog and bashing them???!!!
You are (of course) "entitled to your opinion " as they say--but if you're going to be RUDE and nasty--then NO--the rest of us who happen to *enjoy* what ANDREA has to say/share shouldn't have to hear it!!
Too bad it doesn't dawn on you that there might be "legal" reasons as to why Andrea *can't* share everything she knows with us! Part of it might be--it's NONE of your business really--and the other part might be, as BREYER sometimes ask her to do something, it might turn out to be a real PLEASANT surprise for ALL of us!! We'll just have to "wait and see", now won't we???
I apologize for my own nastiness--but honest to goodness, I am so SICK (and really SADDENED!!) of reading about LONG TIME hobbies finally being driven away from the hobby they've LOVED for YEARS by the hateful comments of others !!
Someone has got to start saying "ENOUGH"!!

Suzanne said...

Oh my! I felt teased but amused by the cryptic comments. Having absolutely no part in those goings-on, it isn't anything I need to feel guilty about :^D
And secondly, wow, I can let my imagination run wild! Er...

Smokey is one of my favorites. It was fascinating to see the illustration he was based on. I had to get my own copy of the book, but it's still in my "to read" pile.

Holly Ann Harris said...

Sandman is really cute. He's one I'll look for in the future; I'd snap him up if reasonably priced.

I've gotta hand it to Andrea for her ability to twist the knickers of the sensitive, whiny types with the most innocent statements. Love to laugh at people who get offended over the most inconsequential things.

Anonymous said...

and here comes the pile on crowd to bash the first. What a great hobby we have huh?

Anonymous said...

I posted the first comment and will apologize for posting it at all, and for posting anonymously (I don't have a google account but I'm also a nobody in this hobby). What I didn't state very elegantly the first time is the following, not that it matters at this point: that I do use this blog for research and education, when I want to know about a particular model or mold, I find that fact that someone is documenting it to be helpful and informative. It's a valuable resource and I appreciate all the effort the History Diva has put into it.

One comment is correct, I should stop expecting others to entertain me. However, I feel like this blog holds itself out as sort of being an authority on Breyer history, so I have different expectations than if it's a totally personal blog. I realize I should treat it as a personal blog.

I wasn't referring to the vintage club comments - I get that. It's the first couple of paragraphs - some weird stuff went down at a live show that won't be shared(and I can understand the reasoning). What kind of weird stuff? For someone who doesn't know anything about this aspect of the hobby, what happens at live shows? It's like someone saying, "I had the worst day ever," which is basically intended to invite speculation and comments. Are people supposed to ask questions, or not?

Nihil Melius said...

I am glad that what happens at the show, stays at the show. ��

ANDREA said...

Well, I wasn't expecting that to blow up the way it did.

All I intended from the first part of the post is that history is messy, and sometimes what's been left in the past needs to stay in the past. And that the history we remember - for better or worse - is an edit of the history that actually happened. Sometimes better, sometimes worse.

As for being a tease, some of it is because of legal reasons: things that I know that I am not allowed to talk about. And some of it because of ethical reasons: things that were done far in the past by people who may not even remember they did them, or have experienced significant personal or professional growth since then and are not the persons they once were.

These things are sometimes mentioned for the sake of perspective: drama, conflict, mystery, and hidden knowledge are not new things to the hobby, nor will they be in the future.