Wednesday, December 22, 2021

Montana

My CCA Box is here! Even though I genuinely don’t care who’s hiding within, I’ll still wait until Christmas to open it. What’s a few more days, right? I’m almost more excited about the Omega Fahim I know is in there: there were a couple at the last toy store I visited a few moons back, but they were clearly the ones left behind after handpicking had been done.

Well, I certainly didn’t have THIS on my Breyer Bingo Card:

I had to do a double take and make sure that the e-mail was actually from Reeves, and not some spoof account, because I thought one of you wiseacres was having a little bit of fun with Photoshop filters or something.

You know I am all for the Outrageous Animal Special Runs - just a few days ago I suggested, completely unironically, a Rainbow Calico Unicorn Kitten – but a Black Florentine Bighorn Ram?

Dude, just… no. 

The color looks cute on the Stablemate Chase pieces it previously appeared on, but here it’s just weird. And not a good way: more like a person randomly poking a model with a metallic paint pen weird.

It’s funny because I was just thinking that the only Web Special Micro Run that I’m almost completely uninterested in is the Bighorn Ram Rodney. I entered for him and would have gladly taken one, sure, but seeing the odd one for sale doesn’t take me to the same dark place other Micro Runs do. 

Same thing will go with Montana. I won’t turn him down if I get one, but I will also not be terribly upset if I don’t, either. I’m pretty sure he’ll look better in person than his press photo, but with a release like this is almost doesn’t matter.

The piece run on this thing is also kind of crazy: 490 pieces? What a completely random (and large!) number. Methinks they’re cleaning out the warehouse and possibly repurposing older/unsellable merchandise. 

For a quantity that large I would have gone with a Gambler’s Choice of two different colors instead – Gloss Chalky Alabaster and Charcoal, or Red and Green Filigree – but that wasn’t my call to make. You know, he might have also been kind of interesting in a patinated color, too, like the old Smoky release Durango

Hmm. Any of the older Hess Wildlife molds would look great that way, come to think of it. But then again, we’d have to put up with hobbyists complaining about the eyes not being painted, and that’s not how patinated bronzes work, people…

I have a nice example of the original release of the Bighorn, and both the Gray and Tan horn variations of the Dall Sheep. I’d eventually like to upgrade them to ones with stickers, which aren’t necessarily scarce, but are still a little pricey, nonetheless.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey if they happen to dig up a few old boxes of Rin Tin Tin and want to slap some silver filigree on him I would be thrilled. lol or you know remold him all together.

Denise said...

I love all things black filigree so am excited to see this color being used although would have preferred this color on a horse, especially a traditional.
But glossy black with gold horns and hooves would have been awesome! I am hoping his spots are more random like most filigrees but even so love him and hoping to get drawn for him.

Anonymous said...

I think I'm one of the few people who absolutely loves him!

Anonymous said...

I think I would love him if he had splatter dapples. And perhaps the production run will. But this guy looks too perfectly polka-dotted, know what I mean? Like they were drawn on by hand. I think if he had the normal splatter dapples we've all grown to love over the years he would be a lot more popular. :)

Corky said...

I straight-up laughed out loud when I first saw this poor model. Your description of its pattern as looking like someone randomly poked at it with a metallic pen is perfect.

The pattern also kinda like confetti to me -- they could have redeemed themselves somewhat if they did the squares in multicolor, and they could call it Happy New Year; or if they did them in violet, green and gold they could call it Mardi Gras.

Kaivala said...

Don't love or hate the Montana but ot much into the animal molds . On the other side my Chalice for CC showed up and he is the most gorgeous stablemate paint job I have received. Clean mask dappled no odd bits major over spray no flecks. I love him. The vip pin came as well and tho I didn't get any of the 7 arts from bfest I'm quite happy with the pin. Hope you all have a safe dun holidays

Vajarra said...

Omg yes, I love the dog models and desperately wish for some new releases on them!!