Thursday, September 30, 2021

Seconds

It’s going to take me a few more days to unpack everything I want to say about this new funky Five-Gaiter in my life. That, and the studio/office/workspace is still a wreck so I couldn’t take a “glamour shot” of it if I wanted to anyway. 

Speaking of recent purchases, my Second Chance Sales experience went disturbingly smooth. I haven’t had the best luck getting leftovers on Sunday at the live, in-person BreyerFest because I’m usually booked solid with other activities throughout the event. By the time the sale rolls around, I just don’t want to stand in any more lines at that point, especially when the pickings are slim. 

So going online, loading up my cart with… pretty much everything I wanted, and checking out within five minutes felt weird. Like there should have been a catch to it all. 

I bought one of everything I didn’t buy before except the Plush and the Crystal; my Special Run selection this time around was a Gran Cavallo. It just seemed like a safer bet to go for something I don’t already have, instead of trying for a variation of something I already do. And I already like it, as-is, so I am not going to be disappointed in getting something that was exactly as advertised.

Which is a super-strange problem to have. I still maintain that this is one of the few times where this kind of promotion can work, in the sense that collectors will get – at minimum – the model they asked for. 

When they’ve done this at BreyerFest before, a lot of people ended up buying extra models in hopes of getting one of the extra-special ones, which sometimes led to people not being able to get the as-advertised models they wanted in the first place. 

If we had known about the variations ahead of time – or seen them first hand Friday morning – then there would have been significantly fewer leftovers to choose from. 

All I’m saying is that if my Gran Cavallo turns out to be a variation, it’s a bonus! I don’t think it will, but I’ve been wrong before, and recently. 

Oh hey, part of my Halloween order just arrived! Let’s see what Stablemates I got:

Two different ones, yes! The Drafter is way more sparkly than I expected, and honestly I kind of love it. This is kind of surprising, since the Foal he was inspired from – Jack, from the Casper and Jack set back in 2015 – wasn’t something I was sad missing out on. Their designs felt out of proportion on them. And shrinking things almost always makes them cuter!

I am very slightly disappointed that I didn’t get the Fighting Stallion, but that’s only because a lot of collectors are absolutely losing their marbles over it. This means getting a complete set at a reasonable price looks unlikely any time soon. Bummer.

2 comments:

EllOnWheels said...

I'm looking forward to your post about that five-gaiter. Waiting with baited breath... I also ended up with the drafter, and at first I was slightly disappointed. But then I started really looking him over. I've never had the mold before (I try to limit my Stablemates), and my goodness it's cute. His masking is spot on, and the glitter reminds me of the Starry Night classic from a few years back that I adored... So, Pumpkin Butt Pony is staying. He's adorable.

Anonymous said...

What SR & LE models did Breyer offer for the Breyerfest Second Chance Sale? I missed it...I was on vacation.