Friday, September 10, 2021

Crazy About Carrick

The next release in the Wild Animal Series an Oryx on a Carrick? Sign me up!

Getting drawn for Baruti is not up for me to decide.

It’s kind of funny how you don’t set out to collect a mold, but then you turn around and realize that you already do. I have three Carricks – a Cortes C, Brass Hat, and the Matte Volunteer model Caipirinha – and I have been shopping around for a Justify and a 2014 Tractor Supply Pinto Sport Horse Travis, but they’re both models I’d rather handpick in person.

I had a lot of Justifies (Justifys?) to pick from in person locally, but I never did find “the one”; just like any model, I’ll know him when I see him. 

Most of the rest of the Carrick releases are essentially unattainable – Gloss prize models, rarities like the BreyerFest Silver Charm – but Bonne Fete (or as my friends called him, Boba Fett) isn’t too pricey yet. But he’s another model I think I need to shop for in person. Too many fiddly bits of masking that could go wrong, you know…

I’d also like to acquire a Carrick body for customizing purposes, eventually. A few years back I had a notion to customize a portrait Candy Spots, a racehorse I was a little obsessed during my “teenage handicapper” years. (I grew up in an era where I saw Secretariat, Seattle Slew, Affirmed and Ruffian live on the TV, and I was good at math. Perfectly logical!)

Aside from his head and a couple of issues that need to be resolved with his legs, the Carrick mold is a pretty good match. I never got around to it because I (still) have about 300 other projects ahead of it. 

And as an Original Finish-oriented person, it is also extremely difficult for me to purchase a perfectly good model off the shelf just to customize it, especially since there’s a high likelihood of something going wrong. I’d rather not spend 30 or 40 dollars on something that I might end up throwing out anyway. 

3 comments:

Qatgirl said...

Awww, Candy Spots! I always loved him.

Holly said...

Oh, Andrea, watching the 1973 Belmont on tv as a little girl probably was the influence that led me to work with racehorses. I was a groom and assistant trainer back in the days when there was still racing in Michigan.

I've heard that there is approximately a fifteen year cycle on regular run Breyers; it takes that amount of time for a new mold to start appearing in "body" condition at garage sales and resale shops.

timaru star ii said...

This beauty had me looking up Gemsboks. I don't think Breyer got the white rump patches quite right, but still, what a beauty. I too conga the Carrick and have 3. "Boba Fett" makes me laugh -- I named mine Bonne Chance.