Wednesday, June 16, 2021

Undone

Guess what? 

After getting the diorama nearly done – and pretty fabulously, I might add – I was getting the paperwork/details in order, and… discovered that the search engine on that particular museum website completely failed me: the artwork was not public domain. 

When I began the project I thought it was, but a quirk in that museum’s web site dropped the public domain tag and included copyrighted images in my searches.

Cuss words? Yeah, many have been expressed. In a couple different languages, even.

Welcome to my world, people. If I had had the time to do my due diligence earlier, maybe I would have discovered the problem a little bit sooner, and focused my attention on one of the other two ideas that it turns out (of course!) were very much in the public domain.

It’s far too late to go back and finish one of those other ideas, so that means… I am done.

I will get the damned thing finished – it really does look amazing, I swear – but for me, not for a prize. 

So like all my other diorama entries, basically. Another float in my parade of fail.

As I’ve mentioned before, the effort wasn’t totally wasted, and I really did need the creative distraction. But the Universe is obviously trying to tell me something. 

It’s telling me to stop trying to enter any of these stupid contests altogether, because all it does is lead to sadness and disappointment.

3 comments:

Corky said...

I'm so sorry to hear this! I'd love to see your diorama when it's done -- any diorama involving horses and art is right up my alley! And finishing it for the sense of accomplishment alone is never a bad idea!

timaru star ii said...

Poor Andrea. I myself have never entered any of Breyer's contests, or, for that matter, any of their shows. This decision wasn't because of failures in the trying; I never tried at all. I think your track record is more enviable than many; and I'm glad you've shared so much. To finish a piece for oneself is the most basic pleasure of all, inalienable.

Anonymous said...

Please post a picture I would really like to see your diorama.