Monday, May 3, 2021

Suddenly Shiny

I spent a significant portion of the weekend working on my garden, which has improved my mood considerably. 

While I’m still not happy about the ongoing Collector’s Club Exclusive situation, I’m now too tired and too busy to raise any more fuss about it. People have chosen their sides in the matter already anyway, and I doubt I’ll be able to persuade them further.

Another thing that happened was that I also managed to finally score something I’ve been looking for: a Glossy Thorn! You know, the BreyerFest Special Run Appaloosa Trakehner from last year that nobody cared about, until it was revealed that it was the 50/50 Gloss-Matte Split model. 

I got the Matte one, naturally, and all the Glossies either disappeared entirely, or doubled in price overnight.

Man, I hate it when that happens. 

It’s part of my frustration with the “Gloss All The Things” trend in the hobby: those of us minding our own business, collecting more modestly popular molds, suddenly find themselves either having to pay a premium – or do without – because OMG GLOSS!!1)!!

It’s like my mild annoyance at the existence of honey-roasted peanuts. Don’t get me wrong, I like honey-roasted peanuts too, but if sugar-coating peanuts is the only way you’ll eat them, then my belief is that you actually don’t like peanuts, just the sugar-coating they come with.

But what do I know, I actually like ketchup with my steak, which apparently makes me a heathen. (Hey, I’m not a monster: my steak does have to be medium-rare.)

Sorry for the weird tangent. Back to the Trakehner!

I got lucky on eBay and found one at a not completely irrational price, which probably takes care of my retail therapy for the month. 

If I’m brave enough and not completely exhausted by the end of the week, I might actually go to an antique show this coming weekend – more for the experience of actually going to a public event for the first time in a year and a half, than for the actual buying of things.

Though if something happens to show up, I am not going to complain. 

(No worries, people: I’ve had all my shots and take all the usual precautions.)

1 comment:

Carrie said...

"It’s like my mild annoyance at the existence of honey-roasted peanuts." Can't say that's ever a sentence I thought I'd read, especially on a model horse blog. I'm bringing some to BF.

Congrats on the Thorn — I wonder if it was the same one I looked at & pondered splurging on?

Have fun if you go to the antique show, you lucky thing!