Sunday, August 16, 2020

Stories

To make a long story short: I had a bad weekend because I broke my new sewing machine in one of the dumbest ways possible, because I was born clumsy. 

(I mean that last part quite literally: I was born with congenital hip dysplasia. This is why I have mismatched feet and occasionally walk into walls. But I digress...)

Let’s just say I am not looking forward to calling the service center tomorrow to explain things. On the plus side, I did get a lot of weed-pulling done.

Although I haven’t sold much in the past couple of weeks (the post-BreyerFest sales slump!), my online sales have been good enough this year to make up for the lack of room sales. So much so that my sales list is beginning to look pretty darn skimpy.

Especially since I have not been able to replenish it: the flea market is basically a no-go area, all of my recent online purchases have been grails and other necessities, I haven’t snagged a decent box lot of anything in ages, and even the local book sale has been canceled due to the pandemic.

However, this is not necessarily a bad thing. One of the arguments in favor of me attending the live show at BreyerFest next year is that since I won’t have that much to sell, I’ll have room in the car for my show horses, instead!

One big “score” could change everything, of course. I do need to do a little herd culling too, and (once the sewing machine situation is copacetic again) possibly make other merchandise worth selling. 

Even though I haven’t been going as regularly as I used to because time is also an issue, I’m still finding a small handful of items at local thrift and antique stores, including another addition to my shelf of “books with model horses in them”: Crescent Dragonwagon’s Margaret Ziegler is Horse-Crazy.

They are not just on the cover, but are a part of the actual story:

The book was published in 1988, so those “seventeen […] made of plastic” are definitely Breyers. (And do I spy a Lady Phase in the middle of the herd?)

This copy is even signed by the author, which is probably a moot point because it’s not going anywhere, regardless.

5 comments:

Suzanne said...

Cute, I guess that's how Margaret sees her horses?


I got to a local annual book sale today (here in western New York). It was the last day, $5 a bag. I'd decided I'd rather rescue some otherwise unwanted books! The best find: The Big Felt Burger And 27 Other Projects To Relish. Very 1977!

Anonymous said...

The second from the bottom with the neck stretched out looks like the TB nursing foal to me. At least inspired by the TB nursing foal.

Little Black Car said...

The one behind the one with the neck stretched out could be Stud Spider, reversed.

I used to have a book that had Stablemates in the illustrations. I think it was _The Secret Carousel_ but I would have to find a replacement copy to be sure.

Corky said...

Also, the author's name is Crescent Dragonwagon, which is one of the best names ever.

Christi said...

I haven't been to an estate sale or Goodwill since March. I'm practicing my patience, I guess. Same for book sales - I volunteer with the Friends of the Library here, and we've cancelled all the sales for the rest of the year. It's miserable.

If you look at a copy of Doodlebug by Irene Brady, there's an illustration of a couple of model horses. One is pretty clearly the Western Horse or Pony, I forget what the other one is.