Friday, August 28, 2020

Garage Sale Finds, Yay!

Earlier in the week I was going through my paperwork for the year thus far, and lamented that the “Nonretail” portion of my purchases – made at flea markets, yard sales, auctions and such – was pretty skimpy, and would probably remain so for the rest of it.

Then I did one of my intermittent searches on Craigslist and found a potentially interesting local garage sale that led to… these lovely finds!

Believe it or not, this is my first light, Nonchalky version of the #110 Smoke Western Prancing Horse. My first Smoke – my second model horse ever – was a Chalky variation I received for Christmas back in 1974. I’ve also gone through several Charcoal variations before settling (I think!) on the one I have now.

But a standard, actually “Smoke” Smoke Western Prancing Horse, or one I considered worth adding to my collection, had eluded me until now. I was kind of hoping to find a minty, New-in-White-Picture-Box one, or even an example with a Blue Ribbon Sticker, but this fellow with awesome pinking and original saddle and reins will more than do.

He needs a little bit of touch up work, but I’ll worry about that another day.

And well, you also know my fondness for vintage Red Roans. It’s kind of interesting that in spite of the Red Roan Running Mare’s relative rarity (produced only from 1971-1973) that’s she’s not considered more desirable.  

I think it’s a combination of two factors.

First, while she certain has her share of fans, the Running Mare is simply a less-collected mold than her 1960s contemporaries, like the Semi-Rearing Mustang and Fighting Stallion.  

Second, she’s come in so many Variations, Special Runs and even scarce Regular Run items over the years that the #119 Red Roan doesn’t even break the top ten in terms of rarity or desirability. Even vintage Test Colors of her are not especially difficult to find. (Still not cheap, though!)

Just about the only time you see the price of a Red Roan Running Mare hit the stratosphere is if it’s found in Showcase Collection packaging, or features an exceptionally beautiful or distinctive paint job.

Speaking of that, vintage Red Roans vary, a lot; I’m justifying keeping this pretty girl because aside from her original shipper box, she has finer freckling than my other Red Roan Running Mare, who also happens to have corn spotting. And a sticker that’s not really her sticker, but that’s another story.

All of the other goodies came along for the ride; they’re not things I normally collect, but I have a hard time resisting cute, little things.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Jealous!!! I have never, ever found a Breyer at a garage sale where I live (western Minnesota), much less two such beautiful models.

I have one of those little white flocked horses. Made in Germany, but I can't remember which company (mine had a sticker on its belly). And as a child, I had the saddled white "mare" in the tiny case, but no foal. There was a store in the Poconos (Pennsylvania) where we often went for family vacations that had a whole assortment of them. I remember deliberating over which one I would get that summer. They came on blister pack hanging cards like the old Stablemates did. I had a couple, but alas, they are quite fragile and did not survive either play or many moves.

timaru star ii said...

While I collect and honor the old Running Mares (a bay is Queen of my herd), I never liked the Red Roan color. It looked so terribly human: it was the color (and texture) of the arms and legs of my aunts and grandfather.
I love those little box ponies and the tiny flockies: Both of those evoke strong childhood memories.

Suzanne said...

Do Breyers aggregate? Over time, will there only be people who have hundreds of Breyers, or people who have none? Sorry, the thought just popped into my head...
I've found exactly one Breyer at a garage sale, but I tend to forget this sine this was more like a flea seller who decided to sell from his own home that weekend. But how often do Breyers show up for sale, especially in good shape, after being kept purely for decoration and not part of a collection?