Thursday, June 18, 2020

Muscles

Most of us are familiar with the Clydesdale Stallion, who went from originally being a bit of a blobby beast in 1958 to something a little more buff shortly after.

Hobbyists are less familiar with what happened with the Quarter Horse Gelding, who went in the opposite direction – going from ripped to “dad bod”!

This happened in the very early 1960s, shortly after the introduction of the Buckskin, since the Buckskin version of this mold variation seems to be the rarest of the three early Quarter Horse Geldings.


I sometimes call him the “Supermuscled” Quarter Horse because, well, look at him! He’s awesome. 

I presume the mold change was either a consequence of another mold alteration that necessitated removing some of the extra detailing, or the “bulldog” body type was already trending out of fashion and Breyer did an update to tap into the market for less beefcake.

There was a second round of alterations that softened the detail even more and eventually gave the mold a tummy tuck, but I haven’t been able to determine when that happened, exactly.

I only discovered this alteration by accident when I bought the above pictured Quarter Horse because he had eyewhites, a very rare feature on Buckskins. When I opened him up and looked him over, I was astonished at how well-shaded he was… then realized it wasn’t just the paint job I was looking at!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, I never knew this version existed! Very nice model!

Anonymous said...

I found one of those lovely buckskin buffs on eBay a while back, quite by accident. I must have been the only bidder who knew what they were looking at, because he came home with me for just an average price, as far as buckskin QHGs go. No eyewhites, unfortunately. LOVE them on your guy.

Interestingly, several years ago I won an auction for a pair of glossy bays that looked the same in photos, but turned out to be one buff and one smooth in person. Kept them both.

Lynn Isenbarger said...

Could you please post photos of the other two versions?

Suzanne said...

Beautiful! I think the paint job plays a part though, and really brings out the details. My shabby woodgrain QHG is probably the second version, he doesn’t seem much different from my chestnut Appaloosa.

I think I was 12 when I got the bay Clydesdale stallion for my birthday, and I remember being perplexed at both how completely different he was from the mare in both texture and style; and also because of his weirdly flattened muscles!

Corky said...

I was entirely unaware of this. I too would be interested in seeing photos of the other two versions for comparison's sake!

Heather said...

Thank you! I just posted on your other blog regarding this topic. Good to know!