Wednesday, February 27, 2019

Chill

Hey, look who I found yesterday!


Actually, I found AN ENTIRE UNOPENED BOX of the Unicorn Surprise Stablemates at the Walmart nearest me. I almost had a fit of apoplexy when I saw it.

I walked around the store for about 15 minutes brandishing it like a trophy before I realized that buying the whole box was silly, especially since the current aftermarket price on the Gold and Black Florentine Chase Piece Magnolia has dropped into almost reasonable territory anyway. And did I really need to add more Stablemates to my sales list?

I didn’t want to be THAT person, either. So I put it back and grabbed a couple of loose bags and celebrate Model Horse Hobby Day* a little more modestly, and let some other person have a good day.

So this means that all I need to complete my Walmart Stablemates Unicorn set is the Chase Magnolia and the funky Red Arabian. I’m cool with that. And I am all about the chill today, especially after all the spontaneous eruptions of drama I had to deal with yesterday. Not sure how I ended up being the cool and rational one in all that nonsense.

In other news, I really like the first BreyerFest Store Special Zipped in Black Magic, who does look a lot like the 2002 Mid-States Special Run Shakopee:


Similar yes, but not the same: Shakopee is mostly freehand airbrushed, while Zipped in Black Magic is almost entirely masked, and the markings are nowhere near the same. Additionally, Zip is a portrait (as are most BreyerFest Store Specials) and Shakopee was an idea developed deep in the Breyer’s conceptual laboratory.

(The same place where my fantasies of Wedgewood Blue Polled Hereford Bulls and a Yellow Palomino Tradtional Man o’ Wars languish, in Purgatory. Sniff.)

Like most BreyerFest SRs, I’ll have to see one in person before I make my final decision. Since I have a bit of a fondness for the Zippo Pine Bar mold (How is it that I ended up with three Tests/Samples on this mold?) signs point to probably.

*FYI: I decided to declare February 26 Model Horse Hobby Day, since it’s the 57th day of the year - in honor of the Breyer #57 Palomino Western Horse, the model that launched the hobby, essentially. Buy a model, give a model, tell a friend about the hobby, wear your BreyerFest T-shirt in public, no shame. You do you! Or not: I’m fine either way.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for not being THAT person! I have never found ANY chase SMs at my local Walmart because someone constantly cleans them out. It also doesn't feel very good seeing pictures on Facebook of 8-10 of them all together. Sour grapes for me, but it really sucks for the actual KIDS in this hobby not getting chase models because adults are eBaying all the ones they can grab up within a 20 mile radius. I'm glad it appears that Breyer has made quite a lot of the black Magnolias.

Carrie said...

Man, that stinks. Last night I was pleasantly surprised to find not one, not two, but THREE boxes of the unicorns at the local Walmart! I didn't buy any — I got the ones I wanted a few weeks ago at the same store — but it's nice to know they amply restocked. Each box was missing more bags than would have accounted for just the magnolias, so someone hereabouts likes the little unis!

Truson said...

Love the Zippo, I'm buying him! I'm not a fan of "peanut-rollers" but for some reason I still like him.

Anonymous said...

We have a "super Walmart" and they no longer carry Breyers AT ALL. I have no idea why. It really irks me. It's supposed to be one of the busiest Walmarts in the country! We have another Walmart about 15 miles away that carries them but I rarely get over there. It's not even a "super Walmart." I wonder what the rationale is for that?

Anonymous said...

I love the Zippo too. I was very surprised when I got the email from Breyer to purchase the Zippo Test Piece in 2018!!!