Sunday, February 3, 2019

Butter Pecan, Again

So much news in the past few days, don’t know where to start with it all…

First, I screwed up the special offer code on the Espresso. It is DOUBLESHOT19. That is what I get for not triple-checking the proofreading.

Second, the first Web Special for the year is a continuation of the “America the Beautiful” series, with the Clock Saddlebred in Gloss Dappled Red Chestnut, named Muir Woods:


Others have pointed out that last year’s BreyerFest Special Run Straight Bet was a similar color and wowed everyone in person, gloss flaws aside.

The paint jobs on the “America the Beautiful” Series have been pretty stellar overall, and assuming they can get the gloss problems that plagued Straight Bet under control (it’s a significantly smaller run, so probably), I suspect that Muir Woods is going to look pretty stunning in person, as well.

All that being said, I’ll only be putting in a single entry for him: the Clock Saddlebred is not a must-have mold for me, and I really need to save up for a dedicated tabletop quilting machine.

(All the ones on my short list are not cheap. Of course.)

But if I get picked for Muir Woods, I would not be unhappy. Inconvenienced, maybe.

About the next release I want to talk about, another polysyllabic word comes to mind: ambivalence.


I love the Smart Chic Olena, and that color and pattern are awesome on him – seriously, they always come up with the neatest and most interesting colors for that mold.

But they are – as I feared – continuing to march down the yellow brick road to Disney/Marvel-land. Naming it after the one franchise, character and actor that aggravate me more than any others.

(Yes really, all three: my family can vouch for this.)

It’s like getting ice cream in the wrong flavor: you’re excited that it’s ice cream, but instead of Mint Chocolate Chip, Black Cherry, Fudge Ripple, French Vanilla, White Chocolate Raspberry, Rocky Road, Pistachio or any of the dozens of other flavors you like or love, it’s Butter Pecan.

This wouldn’t be so bad – Butter Pecan is a perfectly cromulent ice cream flavor, just not in my top twenty – except when it is always Butter Pecan. The first time is great, the second time is okay, that’s fine, but by the third-fourth-fifth time you find yourself thinking the unthinkable: saying no to ice cream.

Anyway. Here’s a bit of comic-book-related news that cheered me up a few days ago: of all the super-hero franchises in the world, I am baffled and delighted that the Legion of Super-Pets is getting a movie.

(I had heard the rumor, but did not think it true!)

No comments: