Tuesday, September 19, 2017

Well, That’s Inconvenient

I guess it’s a good thing that there hasn’t been much at the flea market recently? Other than some adorable maneki-neko banks I found on a dollar table last week:

I’ve always wanted one – I even attempted to sculpt one in my Pottery class in high school – and now I have an instant collection!

And judging from the Java, they do work! 

(Incidentally, if I ever manage to snag some distressed Breyer Kittens for customizing someday, a Maneki-neko custom is high on the list. Along with the Silver Filigree, a Pink Panther, a Chartreux, a Glow-in-the-Dark Halloween Kitty…)

The problem now becomes: do I sell him, or sell someone else? The extra money would come in handy, but I haven’t been winning a lot of Web Specials lately, and rumored existence of “black panthers” are a local urban legend that I am very fond of. 

The plan for now is to sell someone else in his stead. I was already doing some herd culling anyway, so it’s just a matter of adding an extra one or two to the sales list, whenever work finally lets up for a moment and lets me do it.

In other news, I spotted the Tractor Supply Specials today, too. I wasn’t as impressed with the Lakota Black Beauty as I thought I would be – they were well-executed, but they not metallic or shimmery enough for my tastes. Silly me was hoping for something more along the lines of the BreyerFest Smart n Shiney or El Pastor Prize Model Sona. 

I found the Jacy Geronimo much more appealing in person: he had flea bites! If I happen to see an especially pretty one in my travels, or on clearance (not likely, here!) I will definitely consider it.

They also had the Mystery Surprise Stablemate Blind Bags, the same assortment as Cracker Barrel, apparently (save for the TSC-standard VIN numbers on their bellies, I assume). After a couple minutes of groping I was able to determine that none of them were the Metallic Blue Arabian, so that saved me a trip back to my car to get my wallet... 

One model I did almost pull my wallet out for was a Hwin. I’ve been doing a lot of shopping on this release; I want one that’s either exceptionally light or dark, or distinctive in some way. This one was: she was very dark, and her dapples were so insanely unrealistic – perfectly round, and covering every inch of her body – that it bordered on Decorator territory. 

I’ll be in that part of town again on Saturday, and if she’s still there, I don’t think my willpower will hold. 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I went into my Tractor Supply today and they were just putting the Breyers out. All they had out was Hwin and Jacy. I instantly fell in love with Hwin. They had a wildly dappled one and a subtly dappled one with a nice face. I chose the nice face, although I could have very easily taken the loudly dappled one home too. I LOVE that they put the BLM brand on her. Just last week I was at a BLM event drooling over real Mustangs. And now the lovely Hwin comes my way, complete with her BLM brand. :)

Jacy did nothing for me. I wanted to like him, I really did. But the color was bland. The mold was bland. Even my father who has been buying Breyers for me since I was 5 years old wasn't impressed. He told me the mold looked like Stud Spider. I was hoping that if nothing else, Jacy would be a good victim to customize but I decided to pass on him.

I can't wait to stop by Tractor Supply on another day and see what they have out.

Carrie said...

Maneki nekos! I don't think I'd be able to pass up those on a dollar table either; the egg-shaped one is, in the vernacular, 'totes adorbs'.

Ha, I have a Delilah (Marabella) with ALL THE DAPPLES too. I think her legs & chin may be dapple-free. Maybe. Next time I'm oot & aboot I'll have to make a note to stop at the TSC for the wares ogling/blind bag groping. Yay!