Monday, September 25, 2017

Lovesick

I was doing so good this weekend: there wasn’t much at the flea market, I decided to pass on the darker Hwin and the Halloween Horse Goblin and its adorably cartoony germ-monsters (though that one was tough!), and so far no Chalky Hwins appear to have shown up at any of the local TSCs I’ve visited, yet. (More on that a little later).

But it was a long, rough day at work today, so on the way home I caved and bought that softly and lightly dappled Hwin at the local Family Farm and Home. I love how sassy she looks here: she’s obviously not giving lovesick Java the time of day!


Her other side is a little more dappled, but definitely less-so than the average Hwin. Just a couple of teeny touch ups and I’d definitely put her on my live show string, if I had one. (I am still thinking about that possibility, yes.)

It’s still too early to tell how scarce this variation – or the Chalkies – will be. Judging from the number of ones I’ve looked at so far, I’m thinking/hoping fairly scarce?

I would have bought her regardless, but it’ll be interesting to see how it plays out.

Incidentally, Family Farm and Home is a Michigan-based farm store chain that tends to carry a pretty decent selection of Breyers for the holidays – more than the average TSC. Remember when the first run of the Zenyatta release sold out at the Reeves warehouse just before the holidays, and everyone was scrambling to find her?

The then-local FFH in Richmond – not far out of my way, but not a direction I usually go to shop – had at least four cases of them sitting on the floor, still leftover after Christmas.

Then a few years back, the store up in Almont had at least a couple dozen S Justadreams on the shelf. I remember looking at them thinking to myself “Is this another Zenyatta situation? Should I buy one just in case?”

(Yes it was, and no I didn’t. D’oh!)

Anyway, that’s why I’m moderately excited about having one of these stores in town now: while they don’t tend to get exclusive Special Runs, their buyer obviously knows what they are doing! I’ll be checking out other FFHs for more as time and travel permits, mostly to determine if this Hwin is an aberration, or an indication of something else going on there, again.

All the Chalky Hwins that I have heard of or seen so far have been found at Tractor Supply stores, and there’s some talk that this is perhaps related to Chalky/Nonchalky situation that occurred with the 2015 Tractor Supply Special Run Jesse.

I think…maybe there’s a correlation? It could just be coincidental one: I am assuming that Tractor Supply’s purchases/factory shipments occur at the same time every year, and maybe it happens to be the same time the factory in China “chalks up” slightly flawed bodies to repurpose from production runs earlier in the year.

So, in other words, the Chalky Hwins might be a de facto Special Run for TSC, in the same way the Black 75th Anniversary AQHA Horses became a de facto Tuesday Morning SR. One of circumstance, not intent.

While I’d love to find one, I’m not going to go out of my way to find it. One Hwin is enough for now!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That Hwin looks a LOT like the one I just bought at TSC. Softly dappled but with a very nice face. The other Hwin at my TSC (yes, only two?) was almost unrealistically dappled. Eye catching, but not quite as real looking. Neither one was chalky. Our TSC did get a couple of chalky Jesse's when they came out and I didn't get one because I thought they were ugly. Sigh! Then they got in some regular Jesse's which I liked better so I bought one. Actually two.....I used one as body which I now sort of regret because he was a nice Jesse and I had no idea that Babyflo would be coming out about 6 months later giving me all the Wyatt bodies I could dream of.

What is the deal with TSC only getting two of each model at a time anyway? If I buy one and someone else buys one, that's pretty much it for the season!??? In the case of Jesse they disappeared right away and they got more in, but I've noticed models that get sold only slightly later in the season never get restocked. So when they are gone, they are gone.

Our TSC has tons of Breyer Spirit items this year which is a disappointment for me because I like the more realistic models. So other than Hwin, I figured TSC probably won't be getting much of my model money this year.

I'm still waiting for CAL Ranch to put out their Christmas toys. Those are our only two Breyer sellers in town, CAL Ranch and TSC. So I tend to get excited when they get the Christmas toys in! Well, we also have a Boot Barn but they are so overpriced and have such a small selection that I really don't feel they even count as a Breyer dealer.