Friday, June 30, 2023

Sometimes a Cigar

Another quickie here because I do not have time for more:

In regards to the raging debate, all I have left to say on the matter is that sometimes a cigar is just a cigar, and sometimes a biergarten is just a biergarten. So here’s a picture of one of my Cigars, the Connoisseur Series Wanderlust:

(He’s another one of those molds I have a lot of rarities of, and I don’t know why. But not the actual Cigar, for some reason.)

The whole concept of BreyerFest “selling out” tickets is a recent one: earlier ones didn’t “sell out”.  They would cut off ticket sales at some point because they needed time to make enough of the Celebration Model for everybody. 

They may well have attendance targets they want or need to meet now, and it’s difficult to calculate how much stuff to make, especially when it involves a couple dozen different things. In the past they made a certain amount of stuff and hoped that they would have enough for everybody: sometimes they did, sometimes they didn’t. 

The only rough way to calculate that is based on ticket sales; you do a rough estimate of how many models an average attendee will buy based on historical averages, and divide by the number of models you plan to sell. And err on the side of caution of having a little too many rather than not enough, because when you don’t have enough, ooh boy…

Last year was a weird one because it had been a couple of years since we were all in Kentucky, and a lot of people still weren’t quite ready to attend large public gatherings again. I think the BreyerFest we know and love will feel a lot more like it did pre-pandemic this year.

But not the same. It’s never the same BreyerFest twice, and it shouldn’t be. 

Also: if you need to get in contact with me or relay some information to me, the easiest way to do that at the moment is e-mail. If you happen to have my phone number you can also call or text, but there’s less than a dozen of you with that kind of access so I know it’s not likely an option.

(Nothing personal if you don’t have access, I just don’t have the time or spoons for that level of social interaction.)

I do read the comments, but unless it’s something I can or should immediately address, I am probably not going to respond to them, especially in the next month. I am notoriously bad with responding to e-mails, but I do read all of them.

I don’t have the time to talk about the Bentleys today, but I will be talking about them in the next post or two.

And finally…

If anyone is up for a picnic involving karaoke, corndogs and light beer under the big tree in front of the Covered Arena some time Saturday afternoon during BreyerFest, I’m all for it. Wearing magenta is recommended but not required; any obnoxiously colored shirt will do. 

I can’t guarantee that I will actually perform any karaoke, but if I do, I want to call dibs on Nine Inch Nails. Just because.

9 comments:

L. Robinson said...

You had me at corndogs. I don’t have anything in magenta but I do have a shirt so yellow it will make your eyes water so it will fit the bill. Do I get bonus points for yellow being a Breyer color?

Anonymous said...

So jealous of that Cigar!!!!! Random question, are you selling at the Clarion this year per chance? ~Lily M.

ANDREA said...

I am familiar with the color and deem it horrible enough, yes.

I will be selling at the Clarion, not sure what I'm bringing yet because everything is everywhere right now.

Anonymous said...

Yay!! We're back to talking about model horses again!! The shading on your "Wanderlust" Cigar is *gorgeous*, Andrea!!
Is there any chance of you posting pictures of what your model horse room looks like??(NOT this month(JULY) with Breyerfest so close(let the countdown begin!! I'm *so* excited!!) but maybe afterwards??
You have so many test colors and rare models that it would be nice to see what they look like all in one place!!

Hokieponiez said...

Rummaging through closet for the pinkest pink I have lololol

Anonymous said...

Dang, that karaoke meeting sounds like fun! But I'm not attending in person this year, hope you do it again in the future.
And I second the request to see a picture of your Breyer room, especially the tests! That would be such a treat.

Tish said...

I call dibs on Journey's 'Don't Stop Believin''. It's the only karaoke song I'll do, and only in SE Michigan, because it's guaranteed that everyone will sing along and no one will hear me. I'll break my rule this once, seeing as how you're a fellow Michigander.

Anonymous said...

Awe corn dogs. Mom and I have enjoyed our share of them over the years there. Sitting in the shade, taking a break.

Damn it, now I want a corn dog.

Lydia Lepic said...

I don't have a crazy-bright color t-shirt, but I have a tie-dyed Bob Ross shirt. But it's navy blue, so I think I just need to get a magenta monstrosity this week before I leave.