Tuesday, January 19, 2021

Art Movements

All my entries are in for the VIP ticket thing. Since I’ll be out for most of the evening Wednesday, I won’t even bother checking my e-mail until Thursday and just assume that I lost anyway, unless evidence proves elsewise. 

BTW, I am totally here for these beautiful babies: Dada, Nouveau, Rococo, and Avant Garde. 

I was kind of hoping that the One-Day Stablemates would be all Decorators, and beyond my hopes and dreams, they’re even named after art movements! (Technically “Avant Garde” is more of a generic descriptor/qualifier than a specific historic movement, but it’s a Purple Wedgewood Fjord, so I will give it a pass.)

The only one that seems to be a bit of a stretch is the Fighting Stallion: aside from the fact that we already had an Art Nouveau-themed BreyerFest Decorator back in 2014, nothing about it screams “Art Nouveau” or “Alphonse Mucha” to me. He’s still pretty, but in more of a generic “Tri-Color Decorator Pinto” way. 

Or maybe Memphis? That I liked back when it was originally a thing in the 1980s, but it’s definitely not everyone’s cup of tea.

The Eberl Andalusian (aka Chrome) would have been a better fit for an Art Nouveau theme, too, but I think they just wanted to shoehorn in the Stablemates Fighting Stallion somehow.

If it was me, I would have gone with an Art Deco themed Decorator. Think about it, people: an Art Deco Deco. (Probably a little obviously too on-the-nose, but not my call.)

My favorite of the quartet is Dada, because aside from the fact that the Darley Arabian mold is the perfect mold to embody it, I’m still trying to wrap my head around the fact that there is now going to be a Dada-themed Breyer Special Run. Whoa.

(Or maybe someone in New Jersey is a Grant Morrison fan?)

That’s all for today. Got a lot of stuff to get done this week and I’ve already spent way too much time researching airfares to Wyoming for a trip that probably can’t happen until next year. 

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Was wondering if you could do a blog about the handful of models that are made of very heavy solid plastic. I had some info in the past but lost it. I have the original #435 Secretariat and #574 Silver and they are so much heavier than their normal counterparts! Thanks!

Corky said...

I'm not crazy about decorators to begin with, and this "Mucha-themed" one just kinda leaves me cold. The only one that strikes my fancy is Dada, like you. As far as I'm concerned, if any of these models piques the curiosity of anyone who buys them into researching any of these art movements/artists, and maybe falling in love with them, I'll be extremely happy!

Anonymous said...

oh no oh god they're so cute and im the stupidest art nerd and i WILL spend all my money on four small plastic horses shipped to europe w +40% of import taxes. Do we have any knowledge of what the full set will cost??

Anonymous said...

I think another factor of the LE upset is unrelated to resale...like it or not, Breyer does factor exclusivity into their pricing, and to still charge a 'premium' for models that may now have piececounts 5-6,000 higher than originally indicated has a bit of bite.

I also got a VIP, and I buy for my own collections, so resale doesn't inform my decisions on what models to buy...but it does sting a bit to pay $75 for a Trad that would only cost $45-60 in a regular run

Anonymous said...

Whoops, wrong post! Meant this for the new one today...good grief...