Monday, January 28, 2019

Chocolates

I don’t know what was going on with the Valentine’s Day Plushie Brownie that briefly flitted in and out of existence on Breyer’s social media a few days ago; I’m going to chalk it up as another not-entirely-accidental reveal that will be old news by the end of the week. A Valentine’s Day promotional plush did really well for them last year, so another one this year should not come as a huge surprise.

Since we have someone living here who’s life mission is to rip the faces off of every plushie that enters the house, me collecting plushes is a nonstarter. (The handful that I have are kept either in the closet, or in the car.)


As a person who has painted a horse or two chocolate brown, however, I’m all on board for the other chocolate-themed item that made its debut this year, the gloriously weird and strangely mesmerizing Cupcake:


I’m not a big fan of the mold – he’s a bit of a lunk-head and his mane and tail are oddly styled – and the only way Reeves has been able to convince me to buy them is by going entirely unrealistic, with releases like the BreyerFest 2016 Translucent Auriverde, and the 2018 Walmart Unicorn release Skyler.

(Technically I don’t have a Skyler yet, but it does seem like it’s only a matter of time.)

His mane and tail do kind of look like frosting, come to think of it, and I do like chocolate cake and sprinkles… so yeah, I’m on Team Cupcake!

I won’t be hooking myself up with a Cupcake until things are a little less hectic around here though; I’m assuming this will be around BreyerFest, when – like Bandera – I’ll have a corner of the store all to myself where I can handpick one from the several dozen that will inevitably be available.

Buy what you love, and own it, people! Whether it’s a fancy-shmantzy hyper-realistic horse completely hand painted with a single-hair paintbrush, or the fever dream of a delirious and horse-crazy nine-year-old at a birthday party.

(I never had a horse-themed birthday party of my own, growing up. *Sniff*)

1 comment:

Corky said...

It's gratifying to hear someone likes Cupcake. I can't even look at it without feeling the urge to bolt to the bathroom with both hands clamped firmly over my mouth.