Sunday, January 20, 2019

Capes

Yes, it’s a Clydesdale Mare, who bears a remarkable similarity to the Passage to the Pacific Exclusive Event Palisades:


Pepper is beautiful and I love her and I’ll probably get her, but Reeves, we need to talk about your Disney problem.

This is the second Special Run reveal after the Celebration Horse, and the second named after/inspired by a Marvel Universe character.

As someone who was collecting comic books before I was even aware of the existence of Breyer Horses, who has been to almost as many comics conventions as BreyerFest, who has worn a cape in public, and has even been a member of comic book APA (the legendary Interlac), nobody’s more excited about a potential exploration of super-heroic themes at BreyerFest.

This is my wheelhouse, people. You think I get obscure talking about mold stamp variations on the Family Arabian Foal? You haven’t seen me talk about the historical significance of Justice League: Detroit, or why I consider Billy Batson the Captain Marvel.

But I have been a DC girl since… well, forever. The last Marvel product I bought was their Miracleman/Marvelman collections, and they were Marvel products in a legal sense and not much else.

And I rarely watch any of the Disney-Marvel movies because while they are technically competent, I find them safe, boring and unchallenging – and in fact the very antithesis of what made many flock to Marvel in the 1960s.

So I am now a little apprehensive that this BreyerFest – like some others before it – will be both literally and metaphorically Disneyfied. While there is a sizable contingent of people who go out of their way to insist that “not all heroes wear capes”, I for one would like to point out that not every hero who wears a cape is owned by Disney.

It’s probably moot at this point – all that’s really left now of the Special Run design process now is the tweaking. (Allegedly they’re even going to reveal the Volunteer Special soon? Which doesn't strike me as the best idea, for so many reasons...)

I won’t let a silly thing like a name be a determinant in my purchases, if all other signs point to yes. Since I tend to name my draft horses after various deities old and New, my Pepper may well be renamed Barda, anyway.

1 comment:

Lupa said...

Unfortunately Breyer would have to focus on the biggest household names in order to get people sold on this. I'm already seeing people complain about the theme on FB, talking about how "childish" it is (when we're already talking about collecting plastic toy horses? Hello?) As much as I'd love to see a model that nods to Alan Moore's run of Swamp Thing, or a series of seven Endless, or start wandering into indie publishing territory, I'm probably just going to have to CM those myself once I feel up to the challenge.