Thursday, May 3, 2012

More Flower!

See, what did I tell you? No Web Specials for me this time around. S’okay, though, since my two newest additions (I’m Yours, and Buried Treasure) have arrived and are currently sitting in the foyer, waiting to be opened. Sleep’s been in short supply this week, so I won’t actually be seeing them in the flesh for another day or two.

Being dead tired from couple of days of long-overdue yard and garden work doesn’t help, either. (Low maintenance doesn’t mean No maintenance.)

Speaking of gardening, the next BreyerFest SR that’s been announced is called the "Prince of Chintz": he’s a Glossy Baby Blue Esprit covered in flowers - like the fabric (and pottery) of the same name.

My first reaction was "What the?" followed by "dang, that’s kinda clever" and finally "a lot of hobbyists aren’t going to ‘get’ it."

The English love of tea, a horse that sort of looks a little like a teapot, with a finish that replicates the chintz pottery finish…that’s seriously high concept for a BreyerFest Special Run.

(Sort of like most of my BreyerFest contest entries.)

(Scratches another idea off list of potential "Best of British" contest entries.)

My only complaints are (a) it could use more and/or bigger flowers, and (b) I wish they had used some other base color instead of blue, because I’m already tired of the whining about "Why couldn’t he just be a Glossy Wedgewood Blue instead?"

Because Wedgewood Blue doesn't come in glossy, that’s why. That’s just how it is.

Yes, Wedgwood is a British institution, and a Wedgewood Blue Special Run would not have been inappropriate item to make for this BreyerFest. But Reeves decided to go one step further and give us something kind of "out there." Gotta give ‘em some props for trying new and different things.

And if he really isn’t your cup of tea, here’s a thought worth considering: they might still have some Wedgewood Blue SR in the mix that we don’t know about yet.

No comments: