Monday, December 20, 2010

Happy Grab Bag Day!

Darn these Grab Bags - I didn’t get anything done today! Grab Bag "Y" landed on my doorstep around lunchtime. The contents consisted of:
  • WEG Mandiba
  • WEG Jamaica
  • Enchanted Forest
  • Bats in the Belfry
  • Pokerjoe
  • Pharaoh
  • Patagonia
  • WEG MiniWhinnies Set
  • Ponies Gone Wild "Gina"
  • Pony Gals SM Swedish Warmblood
  • WEG SM Reiner
Yep, definitely worth it.

I’ll be keeping Jamaica, Bats in the Belfry, Enchanted Forest, the MiniWhinnies Set, and the PGW "Gina." I may or may not keep the Stablemates (as bodies). Everything else will be put up for sale (preferably) or trade.

I haven’t settled on prices yet; I want to wait a bit and see how the market shakes out. I’m not too concerned about making all of my money back on my investment, but getting a little of it back before the end of the year wouldn’t hurt. I just wish other hobbyists would be a little less cagey about revealing their pickings so far.

I’m not surprised to hear that there are multiples occurring from box to box: it seemed overly optimistic of the "8 boxers" to think that there’d be 48 to 54 unique Traditional-scale items spread across the eight different assortments. Haven’t heard about too many porcelains showing up yet, which I find odd, but it is still a bit early yet. How I ended up being one of the early birds this time around, I do not know…

Disappointments: no WEG Snow Globe or doggies. Guess I’ll have to wait ‘til next year’s NPOD for a Beethoven. I was also hoping for one of the bigger plushie horses, for Vita: I’m thought she’d dig having a plushie as big as she is, to play with. (No, not THAT way - that’s what the doggie bed is for.)

My favorite of keepers is the Enchanted Forest. What a lovely paint job on this boy!


You know me, I’m a sucker for a simple, well-executed color. Which, in this case, is a rich, shaded chocolate bay with subtle dappling.


The Jamaica is really nice, too, even if he is just another bay on the Trakehner mold. I’m glad that that mold has had something of a comeback in recent years: whatever his faults, I’ve always considered him one of better of Chris Hess’s later efforts. In this era’s obsession with wild paint jobs, crazy hair, and increasingly extreme action poses, it's nice to see a lot of other hobbyists are rediscovering his understated charms.

3 comments:

BreyerRose said...

There are a couple of WEG water globes on eBay right now. Just a couple though. Not overpriced either.

Anonymous said...

I'm wondering if the vendors got a "grab bag" offer of some sort, too. I was just at the tack store near me yesterday, and they had three Winters (the black-spotted Othello Treasure Hunt Horse) and two of the Peruvian Paso's with tack and rider sets. If one of the Winters had been glossy, I might have grabbed it.

Margie

Anonymous said...

And what is wrong with the Trakehner mold aside from his tail? I customized one as a portrait model of my TB after he passed away. The Trakehner model fit my horse's confo to a T except for the tail, which I replaced with one I sculpted. My own horse's portrait actually holds some of his ashes as well. It is one of my most prized possessions.