Wednesday, January 10, 2024

Positive Spins

I’ve been trying to put a more positive spin on things lately, pretty much because I don’t have much say in the matter. 

In debilitating pain and unable to eat much? Oh well, I wanted to change my diet and lose weight anyway. And all my jeans are fitting again! (Still haven’t found a meal replacement shake that doesn’t take revolting though. And I am absolutely not a picky eater!)

The weird turn that this year’s BreyerFest theme has taken? That means I’ll be picking out models I want based purely on aesthetics, rather than be cluttered by any lingering sentiments about the name or concept. Which means I’m digging the Dunalino True North: one of my favorite colors on one of my favorite newer molds!

I’m not sure why everyone is wigging out about the breed assignment; it wouldn’t be any different from the majority of other releases that have come out since… forever. If half your showstring isn’t some flavor of fence-jumper, you’re just not being creative.

Speaking of fence-jumpers, the latest Limited Edition reveal for BreyerFest certainly isn’t disappointing! The original Brown Sunshine release kinda-sorta had a pre-release party at BreyerFest in 1996, but Alan a Day’s Work represents the first true BreyerFest Exclusive on the mold. Special Runs on the Brown Sunshine mold are fairly rare in general, with the last one being Greenacres for the Ponies & Palm Trees Event in 2022.

Unfortunately, there’s no positive spin I can put on the Spokes & Spurs Exclusive Event thing: as a single-type person with just one official club membership to my name, the odds of me getting picked are just not very good. And I’d really rather not try to formulate a “Plan D” vacation at this point. I don’t have time for that nonsense.

Best to put that one in a box and come back to it later, I guess.

And finally, I suppose I should say something publicly about latest in big model horse news: the sale of Stone Horses. 

All I’ll say is that I had (a) I was not surprised, and (b) I had suspected something was in the works for a bit.

It’s been well over a decade since I’ve bought any Stone Horses at all, and nothing I saw in any of the news or press releases is going to persuade me to change course. 

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh no Andrea!! I'm really concerned about you!! When you *can't *eat because your back hurts??? Something is *seriously * wrong!!
Can't your Doctor's do a MRI or something similar to see if you've fractured a vertebrae or if the nerves in your spine may be inflamed???
This is nothing to play with! I hope you can get it resolved and the Doctor's come to the *right* diagnosis!!

Anonymous said...

I'm with you about the new dunalino TN and the mule. While I'm not a big fan of the mule 's mold, I'm digging the play on words for his name! I hope I can get him!

Well --what do you know?? Whoever would have thought that Peter and Elaine would retire??(Although Peter had been looking a little frail the last time I saw him!!) Congratulations to them both!

I wanna see where the new people go with this before saying anything! Already I read somewhere that they have a new mold out and their commemorative models have sold out!

This is interesting! Did they announce these models on the new website--or only on Facebook?? Are they going to offer the models to the general public at maybe a lower price in order to draw in those who may not have deep pockets?? Or is it going to be more of the same??

Anonymous said...

I'm not a fan of the hiding of the sale, and not saying who is in this new group of owners is. A group of hobbiests, but who?

I prefer to know where money will go.

I really hope your doctor's get you figured out. That's scary to not be eating.

ANDREA said...

I'm okay guys. I have a Polish mother who knows when I'm not taking my usual seconds. My follow up appointment is next week. I had fish sticks, a chickpea salad and cornbread for lunch today.

Anonymous said...

They did say who bought Stones. Erin Corbett--who is the curator of BreyerWest. and a well known hobbiest. The name of the company is Volo Artem LLC. I think I got the info. right.
Seeing as this is a recent transaction, we'll just have to wait and see what happens--Altho they just offered (and sold out of) a commemorative blind bag set of horses in honor of Peter and Elaine.

Anonymous said...

OK ! At least you ate something! Although--Hey!! I thought it was Italian mothers who always made sure you were fed! Mine does!

Anonymous said...

It is a group of hobbiests they said lead by Erin. I would like to know the group she is the CEO President of it.

ANDREA said...

With Polish mothers, the first helpings are just appetizers! You really haven't eaten until you've had your second helping, AND dessert. There is always dessert.

(Incidentally, if you add chocolate syrup to Ka Chava, it's not completely horrible. Someone gave me some for free, gave it a shot...)

Again, nothing I've read about the Stone Horse transfer changes my mind about anything. I've seen this story before, and I've seen how it ends.

Carrie said...

As a person of Polish heritage who's going thru some long-term medical stuff, I can absolutely confirm: THERE IS SO MUCH FOOD IN MY HOUSE. My mother AND her sisters will make sure the one thing that never happens to me is starvation. It's their love language.

Hopefully you can wrangle your back issue into submission soon so eating, sleeping, & all-around living can improve!

Anonymous said...

Regarding the Brown Sunshine mold, has anyone read the book? I’ve never seen it for sale or at our library… but I wonder if the mule in the story is a pacer?

Christi said...

I've read Brown Sunshine of Sawdust Valley (but it's been a while) - I don't remember any mention of the mule being a pacer. Not my favorite Marguerite Henry book, but it's one of the later ones, and those seemed to be shorter and lighter on story to me. Or it could have just been that I first read Brown Sunshine and Misty's Twilight as an adult, while I read the others first as a kid.