Wednesday, September 6, 2023

The Latest in Walking Black Angus Bulls

Well, so much for trying to inventory all my bodies. 

First I found the giant hoard of Family Arabian Mare experiments, then the stash of Little Bits/Paddock Pals I planned on making into a carousel at some point. Then there were the Mini Whinnies and Stablemates I keep in my tabouret for potential diorama projects, and not to mention several actual unfinished diorama projects. 

There are seven more-or-less active Traditional or Classics-scale customs (including 3 FAMs and 2 Mestenos). I also (inexplicably) happened to buy another box lot of bodies over the weekend because why the heck not at this point, right?

And then, finally, I got to the actual body box! That’s when I decided to go into my basement and get some sewing done, instead. (I did work a little bit on the Mesteno yesterday, though. Looking good!)

Here’s some Breyer History content, while you’re here. My latest #72 Walking Black Angus Bull, another BreyerFest purchase:

For something that came in solid black for almost two decades, this model came in what seems like a billion different variations. There are three well-known coat versions: “Poodle Cut”, “Semi-Rough Coat” and “Full Rough Coat”. There are at least three different halter colors: Red, Brown, and Gold. (I have one with what appears to be a “Copper” halter, but I don’t know if that was intentional, or just a weird discoloration of the Gold.)

There’s also a multitude of eye detailing: eyeliner, eyepinking, the standard two-stroke eyewhites, and the underpainted eyewhites that were a thing in the later 1960s. He came in Gloss and Matte, and a transitional finish somewhere in-between that most collectors classify as Matte but could honestly go either way.

There’s nothing especially special about this variation of the Bull, except to note (quite obviously) that he’s one of those early transitional Mattes. I’m not quite sure how many of these Bulls I have at this point…

(Runs upstairs to check. Five, not counting the Hereford ones?)

…but I didn’t have this variation. I had a hard time finding good quality vintage pieces at BreyerFest this year, and for some reason this guy struck my fancy. The “Poodle Cut” variations may be the most desirable, but I’ve always fancied the “Full Rough Coat” best: I love how those rows and rows of marcelled curls feel in my hand. 

Considering how popular the Bull molds are – and how overused some of them are getting (mumble mumble BreyerFest SRs on the Spanish Fighting Bull mumble mumble) – I am kind of surprised we haven’t seen much of this guy since he was discontinued in 1977. 

I am assuming that aside from his rough texture and lack of viable color options, him being small, old and a little dated doesn’t help, either. 

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Andrea--how come you sound so much like the rest of us?? I've been trying to inventory my collection for the last couple of weeks (now that my enthusiasm is coming back)--but I haven't started just yet--even though I've been tagging my new acquisitions--does that count??
I *love* your walk. black Angus--he looks just like mine-(I call mine "glossy") He has the same 2 stroke eyewhites and GOLD halter as yours!! (Is that halter *really* copper,tho, or just oxidized through the years??)
You have 5 of these?? *Sheesh* I thought I did good that I found mine years ago at the flea markets that we used to have! Funny--I also have a matte one --but he doesn't have the eyewhites and his halter is such a dark color--I think it might be brown and not red! I *think* I might have the glossy walk. Hereford bull too (somewhere) I'll have to check my previous listing as he might be in storage.
Do you have the other variations--or just the rough coats?,(both of mine are rough coats Altho I have seen the "poodle cut" one @ a "live" show. Would think that all 3 variations would make a nice group shot.

Anonymous said...

Old and out dated or not-- I would love to see him come out as a red Angus, short horn or maybe Simmental?? Or a historical breed of some sort??

Anonymous said...

Andrea--here's a question for you(or anyone--if you see this and have time to answer) Is the walk. Angus bull and the walk. Hereford bull the same molds or different???
Noticed that while the 2 had the same walk. positions, the Angus bull head is straight while the hereford's head is turned slightly left. Also the hereford's legs seem slightly thicker and the tails are different (the Angus's tail attaches to the right hock while the hereford's tail swishes left) However, they both have the same Marcel rough coat! ( My hereford is glossy and doesn't have eyewhites--but the muzzle. and eye area is pink!!)
Boy!! What an interesting history lesson! To my surprise, I *may* have as many as you do after all as I also have a woodgrain version of the walk. hereford!!

Suzanne said...

I have never seen any bull molds in person, but when I learned they had different coats, I began to wonder- did they retool the mold, or did they just sand the models down?

Yvonne said...

"Well, so much for trying to inventory all my bodies."
This is the kind of opening sentence that gets the FBI sent to your door! :)

equusentric said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Equussentric--too bad your commentary was removed. I didn't get to see it until late in the evening and planned to "thank you" for the info. you provided! What I should have done was check the IDYB website 1st--but because BreyerDiva usually has the info. as well--I thought I'd ask here first! Anyway--Thank you for your help!