Saturday, September 30, 2023

Scary Things

I knew I had a rough couple of weeks, but I didn’t realize just how rough until I was at the 7-11 after work on Friday, and the night cashier walked up and asked me:

“Are you okay? You don’t look okay. I’m worried about you.”

Anyone who’s had the privilege working the night shift at a convenience store knows that you sometimes see unspeakable things, so I’m not quite sure how to process the fact that I managed to scare the night cashier at 7-11. Dang.

Onto lighter topics. Let’s talk about a couple of things in the September Newsletter!

I was aware of the existence of “The World of Breyer Horses” promo video, but I can’t recall if I ever got to watch it in full before; it was made during my live show heydays, so when they started showing photos from contemporary live shows, I was momentarily terrified I’d see a picture of myself.

Lucky for all of us, I was not present. 

There are other Breyer videos out there with me in them; at least one of them was shot a few years after this video at a very early BreyerFest, back when the live show was still held in the Covered Arena. 

And Reeves probably has more photos of me on file than my family or workplace does. It (morbidly) amuses me that if anything newsworthy-dreadful actually happens to me, chances are any of the photos you see of me on the news will be from Reeves. I take some consolation in the fact that I will be smiling in most of those.

They failed to mention (on the website, at least) that the narrator of the video was also the model for Bitsy Breyer. From her last name you can kind of figure how she got the job!

A lot of the kids featured in Breyer promotional materials in the 1970s and early 1980s were the children of friends and family, incidentally. This is nothing unique to Breyer; a lot of the family-owned and operated businesses I have either done business with or worked for worked that way. You are not just a member of the family, you are also an employee...

I have no idea who the mystery model is in the Sneak Peek:

Since I am trying to behave, I already told myself that I’m going to avoid entering for most of the Winter Web Specials, unless an Elk, the Deer Family, or one of the Dog molds is involved. If the Christmas Day Surprise is an Emma I’ll probably spring for that one too, of course, because Emma. 

I’ve had a good year, so I think I’m entitled to a break. 

Next time – I finally unwrap my Surrey and Axle!

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

My guess is the Standing Donkey. Not many molds have the "bumpy coat" look, and it's not textured enough for Brighty (besides, he was just used for Peanutine) or Misty or the Rough Coat Stock Horse Foal. And a pinto elephant, while intriguing, is, well, odd. Not that that has necessarily stopped Breyer in the past . . .

I guess we'll find out!

Anonymous said...

maybe Stormy and Misty? with the sneak peak being of Stormy?

Kiri said...

I'm planning on doing my first few live shows this year. I've enjoyed what you've written about them! I don't think I'll win (my show string is probably less than impressive, but oh well), but I've wanted to do this for years. As for the Christmas surprise horse... maybe it's a Misty?

Anonymous said...

To me it looks like the Clydesdale Mare.

Maybe this year's unicorn mare and foal set.

PixelPerfectStables said...

I agree that it looks more like the texture of the Clydesdale mare and foal, or perhaps the SHM and SSHF or ASHF? Since we just had the two foals for BreyerFest.

Yvonne said...

I'll toss my hat into the ring and call it the Spanish Fighting Bull!

Suzanne said...

I'll say Action Stock Horse Foal! :^)

timaru star ii said...

Funny, I'm with Yvonne: my first reaction was that's the Bull.

Anonymous said...

I’m going with the Chris Hess standing Donkey

Christi said...

There's a purple pinto Clydesdale Mare & Foal unicorn set on the Holiday Collection page now. Maybe those are the sneak peak?

Anonymous said...

Woohoo I was correct for once! Clyde mare and foal!!