Tuesday, March 7, 2023

A Wee Trio (No, Not That One)

Experiencing some scheduling issues again; as a consequence of that, I only got 4.5 hours of sleep last night, and I’m feeling a little loopier than normal.

(Long story short: I’ll be fine tomorrow. No worries!)

I didn’t get quite as much done on my live show documentation as I thought I would over the weekend; I’m still debating over the last handful of cuts. (I’m aiming for half Collectibility and half Stablemates…)

Oddly enough, my main problem wasn’t obsessing over the minutiae of Breyer History, but falling down the rabbit hole of rare or obscure horse breeds and freaking loving it. It’s taken me back to my elementary school days, when little horse nerd me would check out the big encyclopedias of horse breeds over and over and stare at pictures of Frieburgers, Lokais and Vladimir Heavy Drafts.

Anyway, I’m a little short on time (needs sleep, I do), so here’s a small assortment of my favorites that are in the running:

The Flaxen Chestnut G2 Saddlebred is from the 2018 (Series 2) Walmart Horse Crazy Surprise Assortment. Nothing especially remarkable about the release itself, other than the fact that most of them in that particular series had remarkably attractive and well-executed paint jobs: the Saddlebred was the prettiest one of the bunch I eventually found.

(It was the beginning of the Stablemates Chase Era, before we got bored and/or irritated by it, and all my nearest Walmarts were plundered early, and often.)

The Black G1 Arabian Stallion is a rather fetching release of this mold, from the 1991 Sears Wishbook Special Run Stablemates Assortment. My Bay one always does well, and I wanted to add another G1 Arabian to my live show mix: he was the best of the rest, aside from my NIP Dapple Gray (who I only show in Collectibility). 

And finally, that’s the Florida Cracker Horse from the underrated 2007 BreyerFest SR “All-American Trio” Stablemates Set, the one that included a Black Pinto Tennessee Walker and a Chestnut Appaloosa Colorado Rangerbred. All three were super nice, but I just adore the detail they put into the paint job on the Paso Fino mold.

Well, that’s it for today. Off to water some plants and get some serious sleep.  

4 comments:

timaru star ii said...

Not so underrated; I have always enjoyed the pairing of my Florida Cracker with the 1998 Buckskin. Side by side they are almost twins -- Almost! Besides wording on the belly, the dorsal barring of the Cracker is the best field mark.

Anonymous said...

my little ASB came with a bonus piece of masking near the top of her blaze. So she's a little variation with her bonus white spot.

Lydia Lepic said...

I always wonder about the painters of the Stablemates. :) They seem to be so well done, it makes me wonder if their workshop is the "fun crew" who enjoy each other's company as they work. Do they listen to music as they paint? Do they do really nice work because they like their coworkers/job, or are
they just individuals who are meticulous? (My husband is the plant engineer of a bathtub factory, so I'm trying to picture an industrial set-up, but with tiny horses instead of bathtubs, airbrushes with paint instead of chop-guns that spew fiberglass and resin...and my cultural ignorance doesn't know what genre would be on the radio instead of hard rock/country/The Eagles...) But I am always curious about the hands that handled my wee horses before they came to me.

Anonymous said...

I rather doubt that the workers listen to music, enjoy their job or their co-workers. The models are made on the production line of a factory in China, a communist country, or outsourced to another communist country while being marked as made in China, not in an art studio.