Tuesday, December 13, 2022

A Little Hope

Just out of curiosity, I did a really quick survey of Elsas for sale (quick because I don’t really have time for shopping: I generally do quick five-minute skims for box lots and Belgians, and that’s about it):

24 on eBay (4 sold), 23 on MH$P. I have no idea on Facebook, because I don’t have an account (and please stop asking, people!) 

It’s an interesting but academic metric, since I was selected for one. 

The current betting line is that the Silver Filigree will be offered shortly after the initial purchase date for Elsa, which is the 15th. Absolutely everyone seems to think it’s Hamilton, but as I explained before, I think he’s replaced Othello and Silver as the mold everybody guesses for everything. 

Not unless they’re going to be offering at least a thousand of them. Which is entirely possible, but I’d like to think they be a little more imaginative with their mold selections when it comes to Winter Decorator Horses. 

I’m going to take a wait and see approach to it, though. Even though I promised myself to keep my purchases to a minimum until the end of the year, somehow all these packages keep showing up on my doorstep, including one with the Bouncer Hope in it:

Hey, it was a part of a half-price offer through Good Morning America, and I threw in some of the Stablemates I didn’t already have (including those goofy Wooden Stables) to get the free shipping. At that price, I couldn’t afford not to buy something!

I was surprised how iridescent the Hope is: her “pinto” markings glow like Mother of Pearl. The box is interesting, too: apparently it was designed to minimize plastic in the packaging?

Although I am usually in favor of more environmentally friendly packaging, speaking as a quilter, the plastic sheeting I salvage from the standard display boxes comes in quite handy for cutting templates. 

Especially for some of the multi-pieced affairs I’ll be mired in early next year. (Imagine a hexagonal quilt with 18 blocks of 55 pieces each. All handpieced, because doing hexi quilts by machine is more trouble than it’s worth!)

I wish I could collect the Bouncer mold more actively, but with the Tom Thumb, all the Gloss Prize models, Bilberry and the Boca, I’ll just have to stick to the handful of semi-affordable ones, which includes…

(looks around the Internet)

… just the Pink Magnum, apparently. Well, so much for even that notion. Maybe there will be something affordable at BreyerFest next year.  

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have a mare version of Brookshire Pink Magnum that I was fortunate to get from the first shipment received by my dealer. So there’s a variation of that run that’s HTF since, according to the Reeves rep I spoke to, there’s only a dozen or so floating around that were made from the left over blanks of the JCP pinto.

Boulder Sheep said...

Bouncer is one of those molds I like but don't collect - well, except for Hope (because I volunteer for a PATH-associated equine-assisted therapy program.)

No guesses from me wrt silver filigree, because I may be the only collector for whom they do not appeal. It would have to be a mold-specific decision, and neither Hamilton nor Othello are on my list. Which, financially, is probably a good thing, since Chadwick IS a mold I conga twice (both Emerson mold and palomino color) and I was pulled for both Kalahari AND Elsa (which I assume means I won't be pulled for anything for the next umpteen years!)

I like the slightly larger collector runs: on FaceBook, there are nearly 18,000 participants in the Breyer Buy/Sell/Trade group, so I'm thinking 1000 is still quite collectable, especially given how appealing Elsa is (I'm not a cattle collector, although I do have the original Spanish Fighting Bull from 1970 when it was first introduced. I suppose adding one every 50 years or so is not overdoing it.

Suzanne said...

I'm not familiar with the Bouncer mold, but she is charming. I wonder how her shape & proportions compare with the Black Stallion. (If anyone has come across a Black Stallion body that had a near foreleg that was broken and repaired with strips of paper and glue, that was mine! Poor guy.)

timaru star ii said...

Is Hope's tail anything like blue or purple? Having only the pin, I'm curious. // I am not strongly attracted to silver dapples [silver filigree]. I have all 4 Decorator colors plus copper dapple and copper Wedgewood, but my closest to silver dapple is the High Tide.

Anonymous said...

My hope was a mix of pearls ? her "white" had a pinkish pearl her brown a bit of gold metallic pearl but not the pink (it may have just blended into the color but I don't see the gold pearl in the white) her mane tail and forelock had blue pearl her black hooves had a little gold looked almost like overspray, wonder how they layered/painted her

Anonymous said...

I’m trying to cut back on purchases as well, but guilty of purchasing a Hope and Elsa. I was very tickled to be drawn.

Boulder Sheep said...

...aaaaand it's Hamilton! I entered, to sell at cost. It's a spectacular mold but not one I collect.

timaru star ii said...

Correction: It has been pointed out to me by no less than Banff the Silver Buffalo! that I do, after all, have a silver filigree in my collection. The TSII regrets the error.