Sunday, May 22, 2022

Decision Fatigue

Another short post again today – not only did I have entirely too much fun over my long weekend, I came home to a rather prodigious pile of work that I need to attack tout de suite

I haven’t really unpacked anything yet either, or even downloaded the picture from our epic Legion of Doom meeting… 

The driving part was more or less successful. Other than getting lost in the same place twice, but I’m putting that little incident in a box, taping the box shut, tossing it in a dumpster, and setting the dumpster on fire. As one does. 

(FYI: I am, and always have been, directionally challenged. And GPS doesn’t really help, but that’s not a story you need to hear today.)

I was also good and didn’t buy anything other than food, though the temptations were there. I have a pretty specific shopping list this year, and nothing on that list happened to be at the Swap Meet. 

In terms of showing, I didn’t start off well, but I finished with a Sectional Reserve (my Thornycroft) and a Sectional and Division Champ (my airbrushed Misty). Not quite as good as the last show I went to, but the selection of Collectibility classes was limited, and I decided to avoid them this time around as a challenge to myself. 

My goals were one Rosette, five NAN cards, and 15 placings. I think I ended up with only four NAN cards, but the other goals were met. 

My Morgans that all NAN’ed last time didn’t even place this time. Which kind of blew my mind, but I guess I should have expected that: as I remembered from my old showing days in the 1980s, every time I crossed a state line to show, the judges’ personal preferences seemed to flip completely, too. Lesson (re)learned, I guess.

Since I probably owe you all at least one picture, here’s that dilemma I briefly touched on a little while back: 

So, which one of these Old Mold Appaloosa Stallions do I keep – my original, sentimental favorite (R) with the darker shading and heavy speckling, or the new arrival (L) who is in better condition, but is a little on the light side, both color and spot-wise?

Keeping both is not an option, by the way. Despite my family’s insistence to the contrary, the house is not a museum. 

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Keep the original, the one on the right! He has so much more "personality" due to his shading and overall look. He looks more like a model that was lovingly painted by a particular artist rather than a production line turnout. But my preference may not be yours . . .

the real doll nerd said...

I agree. I looked at the pic before reading anything. I guess after reading your blog for so many years, I assumed it was an either/or situation. The original on the right has more ‘wow’ factor. But the new guy does make a fantastic ’straight-man’ to the headliner. I’m kinda blanking here, but are there any characteristics specific to an Old Mold Arab Stallion, or is it just the years it was available pre/post lawsuit?

Corky said...

I'd also keep the one on the right. He's much less commonplace in appearance than the other one.

Suzanne said...

I love it! Yes, the one on the right has "the love"! The one on the left is just too washed out, by comparison.

I'm going to have to practice that method of eliminating bad memories...

Suzanne said...

Perhaps it's the angle, but Lefty's tail looks off.

timaru star ii said...

I have never seen so dark an Appaloosa FAS. I love that pink chin!

EllOnWheels said...

In matters of sentimentality, choose the sentimental. Keep your original. He's got more character.

Anonymous said...

I have to agree with everyone! Love that darker one!

Anonymous said...

I’m going with sentiment.

ELauer said...

The one on the right!

P.S. It was nice to put a face to the name and see you in a photo on Lynn Isenbarger's blogpost of the Indy Blooms show. : )

Adah R. (Spotted Dreams Studio) said...

Right!

Kaivala said...

The one on the right looks a bit shunk ?