Sunday, April 10, 2022

The Signature Issue

It looks like the decision about BreyerFest Live has been made for me, which is actually fine: I’m already signed up for two other live shows this year and possibly a third, and I’d rather get a little more experience under my belt before I tackle something that big, anyway. So next year it is, maybe? 

I’d also rather focus on my more immediate needs, like socializing and selling. And unlike a lot of other hobbyists for whom BreyerFest Live is the only show they either have access to or are comfortable attending, I have more options.   

Breakables is still a possibility, of course. The resin show is not: I only own one resin – the 2011 BreyerFest Store Special Sorcerer’s Apprentice – and honestly I’m too afraid of breaking him to even take him out of the box, except for the occasional photograph.  

I still have a little bit of lingering resentment from when resins first became a big thing, too: some the early adopters were not the least bit nice to us OF Breyer enthusiasts, and I have a hard time forgetting. 

I’d rather not rehash the old arguments, though. Our worlds rarely intersect nowadays.

I’ve finally – well, more or less – finished unpacking from the show last weekend. This week I’ll be working on mostly nonhorsey things, like my taxes, some early gardening prep, and an applique project (some vintage Dresden Plate blocks that I found at the local Salvation Army, years ago) that’s coming along a little more quickly than I anticipated.

Oh, there is one model horse related thing I should probably put to a community vote: guys, should I get Shat to sign a horse for me?

Normally I am not a signature-oriented person at these conventions: I go to shop, people watch, and attend panels and stuff. For those of you who do no conventions outside of BreyerFest, just imagine BreyerFest without the horses or the room sales. 

Motor City Comic Con has been my go-to comic convention since the late 1980s, when I have had the time or inclination. There have been a few times I’ve (almost) run into model horse people at the Motor City Comic Con, but that’s more of a “nerds being nerds” thing than a “me being weird” thing. 

There’s always been a lot of overlap between those two worlds: an enterprising soul could probably get a pretty good research paper or thesis out of it, but I am not that person.

But back to the signature issue. Signatures on model horses, by and large, don’t add a lot to the value of a model, unless the signer is someone who is historically important outside the world of model horses. It never hurts the value though, and if it has a personal or historical meaning to the person getting the signature, monetary gain is irrelevant.  

And that’s where I’m at with this. Value is not that big a consideration for me, except where it becomes so high that it impedes my ability to buy something I want or love.

As awkward as it is sometimes, I love it when my worlds collide. A memento of that collision might be worth the price. I also think Shatner might enjoy the possibility of signing something that’s horse-related for a change, as well. 

(I may have to get a signed copy of Danny Trejo’s cookbook too, because how dope a Mother’s Day gift would that be for Mom?)

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow Andrea! Are you talking about *the* William Shatner of "Star Trek" fame to sign a model horse for you??!!
If YOU like him and think it would be worth it, I'd say "Go for it"!!
However, I *actually * met Mr. Shatner a few times when he had his Belle Meade ASB's located in KY.(years ago) and he was *NOT* very nice to his many fans who had come to see him! He was extremely rude to a very young child who asked him for his autograph (the little guy didn't know better and went back to his parents in tears!) That turned me off from "admiring" *any* human that much!!
(Even his co-workers from the show would mention in TV interviews how rude and obnoxious he was!)
Like you mentioned in a previous post tho--people DO change--so let's hope he's mellowed out with age!!
It'll be kinda neat if you DO get the model signed!! You'll have to let you reader's know how that goes!!
(P.S. The closest I ever got to having a "famous" person sign a model for me was when PETER STONE used to have "signing" parties!! Just goes to show ya how old I am! HaHa!)

Adah R. (Spotted Dreams Studio) said...

Haha I have PS's signed by Peter Stone too! Yes, get it signed! Absolutely get it signed!

EllOnWheels said...

I say get a model signed. Last Toronto Fan Expo I was at, I had a friend commission me for a couple of small watercolours of some of her favourite anime characters, who happened to be voiced in the English Dubs by the same actor. I waited at the back the line so my friend could get her autograph with her nephew, who enjoyed the same shows. The actor called me up from the back the line to compliment my art. So anything different like that can be a fun experience for the actor... What photo did another friend of mine ask Levar Burton to sign? The Reading Rainbow one, and Burton was absolutely touched by that, as everyone always picks something else he's better known for... There are humans under the entertainment industry veneer who have niche interests. Go for it. Have him sign the model.

Suzanne said...

"Shat?!"
I'm not on top of a lot of contemporary culture, so I was surprised this meant good ole William Shatner...yeah, I say go for it! It might put a smile on his face. My mom actually saw a bit of Shatner before he was famous. Apparently he used to hang out with the lab man at the dentist's office where she worked. "Aloof" is how she described him.

I think I've probably shared this here before, but I had one horse signed by Peter Stone, and I immediately regretted it. It was that sorrel American Mustang (American- where else do they even have mustangs, outside of North America?) It just struck me as foolish looking, this magnificent horse now had writing on his belly.

Corky said...

A friend got me William Shatner's autograph some years ago, and he mentioned that Shatner was very brusque. No personalization was allowed on the photo (he just signed his name), and (as is now common practice) you had to buy the photo there, and he would ONLY sign photos purchased that day. I've seen some autograph sessions where the celebrities would in fact sign items other than photos purchased there, but there was usually a hefty additional fee (on top of what they charge for the autograph to begin with). You probably already know all these things, but thought I'd mention them anyway.

timaru star ii said...

Normally I detest signatures on a model horse. But I and my best friends were Trekkies back in the day (some still are). If you want it, you should at least try.

Anonymous said...

I've heard he charges $50 or $100 per autograph. I seen him the year his horse was celebration horse at Breyerfest. He went zooming by in the covered arena in a cart with one of his horses.

That was fun to come home and tell my Dad. He LOVED Star Trek.

Julie said...

I gave my close friend, who collects Breyers and is a HUGE Star Trek fan. I gave her the glossy ptize model. I also have given her matte All Glorys signed by George Takei, Nichele Nicholas and William Shatner. You give him a model to sigb, he'll smile.

bubbasmom said...

I got him to sign All Glory at a Dallas comic con a few years ago. I don't know if it was the relatively early hour or what, but he was really nice, and told me about the new foal they had out of All Glory at the time. My horse is still fastened in the box, with Shat's autograph on its side in all its silver glory.

I say go for it, even though I've heard horror stories of Shatner's attitude at different venues. It makes me smile every time I see my horse!