Monday, April 4, 2022

Friday Afternoon Fever

Very short show recap: went in with a goal of ten placings, three NAN cards, and a rosette, and did considerably better than that. It’ll be a couple of days before I know the exact total because I am not unpacking the car until at least Tuesday. 

I did run into a little bit of difficulty getting home, partly because I am directionally-challenged and partly because there was an extremely inconvenient political rally near my house that you might have heard about. After got home, I basically slept for twelve hours straight; I should be back to “normal” (night shift person here) by tomorrow.

But let’s talk about a more pressing issue of our time: Discoheart!

My first thought when I saw this guy was “Oh dear, they’re doing the Decorator Khemosabi joke again.” It was pretty obvious he was an actual model and not a Photoshop job, so my assumption is that he’ll eventually end up as an auction piece, perhaps in the BreyerFest Silent Auction – like the Decorator Khemos did.

I have to admit that I’ve been kind of surprised by the unusually strong positive reaction to him, considering how roundly mocked the Ram was. But calling the Christmas Deco Ram “Montana” a failure is also a stretch. 

A failure for speculators looking for short-term profits? Most definitely. Aesthetic failure? Maybe. But Reeves evidently sold most of the seemingly extravagant 490-piece run without having to resort to multiple waitlists. Any time a company can make money that easily is not a failure. 

And the color is obviously a win!

Fireheart is definitely Decorator-friendly, as the late 2022 Stablemates Club release Helios amply demonstrates. But the minute I realized that Discoheart was an April Fool’s joke, I tossed him in my very large“things to be mildly annoyed about” file and moved on with my life. 

(I also happened to be in the middle of rewriting all my live show documentation when he dropped, which probably helped with my attitude.)

I have no doubt that the mold – either his Traditional incarnation, or his Stablemate ones – will be made available in a multitude of Decorator colors in the near, and not-so-near, future. 

I am already imagining the impending anguish and furor of future Web and Club Specials like Silver Filigree Fireheart, Benasque Blue Filigree Fireheart, Ocean Blue Fireheart, Rose Gold Pinto Fireheart, Pearly Dappled Pink Fireheart, Holographic Silver Fireheart, Halloween Fireheart, and (my favorite) Sparkly Translucent Embedded Glitter Christmas Gambler’s Choice Firehearts “Fire” (Red) and “Ice” (Clear). 

Though, as you would expect, I most look forward to seeing him in a Vintage Club release in an original Rearing Mustang color. Line-shaded Gloss Albino? Gloss Charcoal? Any of the Old School Deco colors? Think of the possibilities, people! 

(FYI: none of these actually exist yet, I am not aware of any plans for them existing, and there is no guarantee that they ever will. But you know my luck with accidentally predicting things, so take it all with several grains of salt and a margarita chaser.)

5 comments:

Corky said...

Fireheart would be amazing in a well-shaded gloss charcoal with a pink muzzle! Just sayin' ;)

timaru star ii said...

I don't drink. But your imagination definitely makes me drunk on ideas. The horse is well named.

GWR said...

I think the negative reaction to the bighorn sheep was due to his creepy eyes and the daubed by hand look to the photo sample's spots. Fireheart's dramatic pose actually complements the wild coloring.

I said it on Blab and I'll say it here: their delivery stunk. They need to make it so wildly unbelievable that nobody's going to actually believe it. Like a Breyer Pegasus with drone propellers so it actually flies. Or a Breyer toilet paper holder.

Anonymous said...

Wow! I must be one of the very few collectors who strongly dislikes this color pattern--not the molds they're on--the color pattern itself! Maybe because of the polka dots makes it looks unattractive??
Can't believe the number of people who can't seem to take a harmless joke--Really people??!! It's not the 1st time Breyer has pulled this prank!! Laugh, why don't you and move on!
I'm looking for forward to getting the "Helios" SM--he *does* rock it as a decorator!! Wonder what would happened if they were to use that color with a gold mane/tail??
I'm also looking forward to getting a Breyerfest "Stein"! Wonder what he'd look like as the IP brown pinto or the Fighting Stallion's Grey appaloosa?? As a decorator idea, do you think they could put him out as a holographic black like they did they Akhal-Teke?? How about as the blue pinto Ansel color--or the purple Peruvian??? Now--*those* I'd go for!!

Anonymous said...

I was one of those on the fence about the ram. I was then drawn from the second-chance list. I hesitated on buying him but gave in.

He turned out to be way better in person and I'm in love with him. He actually looks filigree and no polka dots.

And I'm starting to think I'm one of the few that is not impressed with Fireheart...traditional nor SM. Oh well.