Sunday, July 19, 2020

Dusting and Revelations

My weekend was messy and complicated. The Samplers will be done tomorrow, and I’ll give everybody an update on them then.

Anyway, the power kept flickering in and out, the computer was being glitchy, I lost an auction on eBay last night that was important to me emotionally, I developed a sinking feeling that my BreyerFest purchases are stuck in limbo for the duration, and I’m in the middle of dusting which is not exactly my favorite activity in the world.

While I am generally of the same opinion as most of you when it comes to dusting – I only do it when (a) I need to take a picture, (b) I am getting ready for a show, or (c) the spiders are starting to get entirely too comfortable in the house – my family has been most insistent that I get this done as soon as possible.

And of course, it’s the only project this weekend that I made any significant progress on at all. In fact, it is going well enough that I might be finished by tomorrow, and thus salvage my week, if not my weekend.

In the meantime, here’s a picture of one of my old favorites who did diddly-squat at the BreyerFest Virtual Show, my beautiful #54 Bay Trakehner who doesn’t look like an off-the-shelf Regular Run Trakehner from 1979, but he is:


It’s funny, when I used to show him in the 1980s, he’d either get totally ignored, or he’d attract a huge crowd that would stand agape at his insanely awesome shading and ask me how I acquired such an amazing specimen of Trakehner-ness.

(Santa. The answer was Santa.)

At Pansies and Ponies last year several people came over to my table to do much the same, but the judges had other thoughts on the matter. I had high hopes for him at the Virtual Show too, but again, he became invisible. I could see that other Hess Trakehners were considered but alas, my beautiful Revelator was not.

He’s one of those models that I keep going back to when I think about entering the actual live show next year, maybe. Would seeing him in person persuade the judges? Or is my time better spent focusing on winning the Customs Contest first?

7 comments:

Denise said...

My Trakehner used to place pretty well even winning a Grand Champion of show back in the early '90's but he sure isn't as nicely shaded as yours! He's gorgeous!

Heather said...

I would try a live show just to try it.

Carrie said...

There's that Beautiful Bay Boy! Flippin' awesome. And Sampler, soon!

Little Black Car said...

Mine is extremely dark with strong red undertones. The variations in older Breyers are pretty interesting.

Elizabeth J said...

I love the Trakehner. I have mixed feelings about the new tail.

Your #59 is lovely!

Unknown said...

I have a bay trakehner with similar shading. He used to do really well at shows too.

Suzanne said...

Love the trakehner! I don't have one yet, but my Morganglanz needs a buddy.

I've decided ebay is Satan. There are only three outcomes: I feel like a dope who overpaid, I feel like a dope for getting outbid, or I feel guilty that I ripped somebody off because I took advantage of a too-good Buy It Now offer...