Thursday, August 8, 2019

Iris

Let’s talk about Iris:


This name is quite appropriate for this particular Gambler’s Choice because the Iris flower comes in a multitude of colors, and is itself named for the Greek goddess of the rainbow.

Though someone got pretty heavy handed with the Photoshop filters, because the irises in this photo look nothing like the irises that populate my garden:


“Iris” is also the name of a Goo Goo Dolls song, written for the 1998 film City of Angels, which was a loose remake of Wim Wenders’ film Wings of Desire.


(City of Angels was better than it deserved to be – especially for a film audacious enough to redo a masterpiece.)

Iris is the name of The Flash’s sensible and level-headed wife, too. (And holy cats, how did I only find out today that Kevin Conroy is playing Batman in the gigantic DC Crisis on Infinite Earth TV Event thingie? Mind. Blown.)

I’ll be happy with whatever shows up at my door – she looks great in all four colors – but my favorite of the four is definitely the Cremello Appaloosa. It reminds me so much of the 2017 BreyerFest Auction piece Newsworthy, in Cremello Tobiano Pinto, one of my all-time favorites:


From my (very) cursory overview of the Model Horse Internet, it appears I am in the minority with that opinion, and I am totally fine with that. Double-dilute Pintos and Appaloosas are one of those weird hobby biases that carry over from the real-horse world (along with Pintaloosas) that I just don’t get.

Which you would think would work to my advantage financially, but it doesn’t always translate into cheaper prices on the secondary.

1 comment:

PixelPerfectStables said...

I got a cremello appy! If you get a deco and I can't find a local trade, I'd be happy to swap with you!

-PixelPerfectStables on Blab