Wednesday, August 22, 2018

Hands Down

Another day, another Walmart, another full and unrifled-through box of Surprise Mini Whinnies. I guess someone is trying to tell me I picked a wrong time to put a hold on collecting Mini Whinnies, huh?

I’ll probably regret not getting them later on. Ah, well.

Here’s something I didn’t regret or pass up: the BreyerFest Pop-Up Store Stablemate Special Run Hands Down, who was an easy pick up for me on Sunday.


Usually the Pop-Up Store Stablemate release either sells out, or sells well, but there was a substantial pile of them when I finally got a chance to peruse what remained on Sunday (no Tervis Tumbers, rats!)

I was pretty happy to discover that it was injection-molded plastic, and not something more breakable. I think that apprehension – and the fact that the mold has molded on tack – probably led to the more modest sales this year.

I liked him a lot more in person than I thought I would! It is neat that in spite of its origins as an ornament, the item also stand pretty well on its own – a nod, perhaps, to the original Breyer Robin Hood set from the 1950s, where the rider itself is also (quite cleverly) designed to stand on its own.

Although there have been several resin and china molds released with molded-on tack in recent years, the last “new” free-standing injection-molded Traditional molds were the Pacer and Man o’ War in the mid-1960s.

These earlier items with molded-on tack – especially the Western Horse, Pony, Prancer, and the Old Timer – still continue to be made, and in many cases are often among Breyer’s better-selling items!

But alas, not among hobbyists: we prefer removable tack to the molded-on variety. That’s why newer molds with molded-on tack tend to be items that are specifically designed to be admired from afar or on a tree, rather than something you’d see in a show ring.

The Hands Down is something slightly different from BreyerFest Stablemates releases of the past: he wasn’t really designed for the hobbyist, but for the more casual attendees, or the hobby-curious.

To mixed results, obviously.

It was kind of an experimental year all-around for BreyerFest; it’ll be interesting to see what they decide to keep, and what they decide to discard. Will we go back to a more standard Stablemate release next year, or continue with the more souvenir-like items like Hands Down?

I’m fine, either way.

No comments: