Saturday, February 15, 2014

Another Thriftshop Treasure

Every time I swing by the local Salvation Army, another treasure pops up. This time - an Old Mold Bay Stallion!


Considering his condition, treasure is probably pushing it a bit, but it felt nice rescuing him from a dump bin of not-so-gently-used toys. There were a few older Grand Champions in that bin as well, but as my knowledge of them is woefully inadequate, I figured it’d be best to leave them for someone who is more knowledgeable to sort them all out.

(I get the same slightly anxious feeling whenever I find a box of older MLPs or Lesney Matchbox Cars. There’s probably something good in here, but I don’t have even a glimmer of a clue, and I’d feel slightly guilty for taking the opportunity away from someone who does…)

There was no evidence of the Mare or Foal to be found, though. This didn’t surprise me, as while I’ve had a fair bit of luck locating the Alabasters locally, the Bays continue to elude me.

Other local hobbyists have found them, so it’s not a situation where they weren’t available here. It’s not an issue of rarity, either, as you all know I’ve found things that make Bay Old Mold Mares and Foals look mundane.

It might just be one of those weird sampling errors - like how I’m more likely to find Charcoal Fighting Stallions than Liver Chestnut Quarter Horse Yearlings. It doesn’t mean that the Fighters are more common than the Yearlings, per se, just that that’s how my personal luck runs. It’s not necessarily a bad thing, but it does lead to some strange internal monologues.

("Another Charcoal Fighting Stallion? Oh, bother…")

Don’t get me wrong, I’m happy to find whatever I do find. But given the choice, I’d rather find stuff that I want than stuff that I have to sell to get what I want. If only to save myself a step or two.

The Bay Old Molds are definitely more rare than the Alabasters, that is true. The Alabasters had the advantage of coming out first, and therefore being in production longer, though were not sure exactly how much longer. (And production quantities? No idea!) The Bays also seem to be a bit more desirable among hobbyists, but I’m not sure if that’s because Alabasters are seen as easier to get, or the Bays are considered more attractive.

I actually find the Alabasters a little bit more attractive, personally, because I’ve seen some Alabasters with astounding shading that almost rival their Hagen-Renaker ancestors.

As I already have a somewhat nicer Old Mold Stallion in Bay in the herd, this guy is going on the saleslist, though I’m not sure where. His condition - and general lack of demand for the mold - tell me he’s strictly body box material. But he is an Old Mold, technically, and not beyond salvaging.

It’ll be a few more weeks before I start up selling again, so I have some time to think about it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

On the subject of Grand Champions, do you happen to know if there was ever any problem between the Breyer people and the GC people over copyright? I know the GC line was in production for quite a while, and I'm curious if everyone just ignored the fact that the initial GC models were obvious Maureen Love copies,a s seen in the first photo here http://www.angelfire.com/on/raventyde/gcfamily.html. I've heard about other Breyer copyright issues, but not seen much light shed on this one.

Courtney said...

I'm an avid GC collector, but I've never seen a real GC model in the stallion's pose shown in the first photo on that site; however the mare and foal molds were nearly identical to the ones shown.

The collector in me is weeping that I'll never know what GCs were in that bin ;) Grats on the Breyer find!