Monday, December 9, 2013

That Liver Chestnut QH Yearling Variation

There was unwelcome company and an unexpectedly busy start to the work week, so I have little time for more than a drive by today. So here’s a picture of a well-known, but rarely seen older Variation:


The Two Sock Version of the #101 Liver Chestnut Quarter Horse Yearling. This was the original version of the paint job, released in 1970; consequently most, if not all, of them will not have the U.S.A. mold mark.

Most of the earlier Breyer ephemera that features the Liver Chestnut Yearling shows the two sock version. The Palomino - released the same year - did not come in an equivalent variation; if it did, I have not seen one. She always came, and was shown, with four socks.

The Two Sock Liver Chestnut Variation was not released that way for long, and is a relatively rare bird. It took me several years to find this particularly lovely example at one of the earlier BreyerFests. I wouldn’t mind upgrading to one with a Blue Ribbon Sticker, but with the prices stickered models have been commanding recently, that’s probably not likely.

If I recall correctly, this little girl was pretty affordable. Although quite rare, this variation is lightly collected because Quarter Horse Yearlings as a whole aren’t very popular, outside of the occasional Test Color, Chalky or Stickered example. Oh, and the Presentation Series pieces, of course. There was a really neat Chicago Era Matte Alabaster Test one on eBay a little while back I found quite fetching, but alas, a lot of other people did too. 

3 comments:

Peggy said...

Hey Andrea, I've been reading your blog for a while now and love it.

You said you were looking for the SM Fun Day Puzzle with the QH...well there is one on Ebay right now at a reasonable price. Thought you'd like to know.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BREYER-46003-Fun-in-the-Sun-500-pc-Puzzle-Same-Day-FREE-SHIPPING-/200833772099?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2ec2a02a43

Anonymous said...

I passed on a 2 hind-sock variation of a sandy bay appy QH yearling over 20 years ago-was $30
haven't seen one since.:(

JUlie Jo said...

Just today I got a two sock version along with another one that could be and all bay version, and Man O' War, a black Cantering Welsh Pony and a Dark Bay Hartland 11" Quarter Horse Stallion, all in great condition which I bought off of Ebay for something like 40.00. I was quite surprised at how nice these models really are. I set out to find out more about the liver Yearling, and this helped a lot. I wish there were more out there like you. Thanks for the info. Now I will have to keep them :)