Friday, July 9, 2010

Not All That Enigmatic, Actually

Oops, sorry about that. Sort of got caught up in my BreyerFest preparations this week. (Still not done. Don’t ask!) And I had a dentist appointment; that always messes with my head.

Okay, I’m getting really, really annoyed with Breyer’s Facebook page. "Enigmatic" is hardly the word I’d use for Duke. If they were talking about the White Boxer, yeah, he’s a bit of a mystery. Duke was only released seven years ago - at BreyerFest! With a certificate and everything! Yeesh.

And if we’re talking about the mold in general, we know more about it than most Breyer molds from the 1950s. For example, it’s one of the few early molds where we have an official release date: January, 1953. It says so on this page from Playthings Magazine:


In this article, entitled "Tenite Boxer Newest Breyer Animal Creation." I scanned the entire left side of the page so you could get a better look at the date:


(Click on image to enlarge.)

This is not "new" information; Nancy Young pegged the Boxer as being ca. 1954 or earlier by 1995 - fifteen years ago. I found this page with the Boxer information a few years after that; I’ve published it in my Sampler, distributed copies of the Playthings page to anyone that wanted one, and mention it whenever the topic comes up.

Yet the bad information persists, and gets perpetuated by Reeves on their flipping Facebook page.

The only "enigmatic" thing about the mold, aside from the circumstances surrounding the White Boxer, is why it has the mold number of 1. Why not 66, his original item number, mentioned in the article above? I wonder if it’s a remnant of an early, abandoned number system, or something more mundane? (Lassie is mold number 2; there is no 3.)

They could have just been forgotten about when they were initially numbering the molds at whatever point in the past, and had new numbers assigned when it was discovered that both the Boxer’s and Lassie’s item numbers were already given to Stud Spider, and Justin Morgan respectively.

Eh, it’s probably something even more mundane than that. Sometimes my imagination gets the best of me.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You know, I looked at the page....and the word enigmatic isn't anywhere on it! I think maybe it was a momentary fluke by one of the newer interns!

Anonymous said...

You know, I looked at the page....and the word enigmatic isn't anywhere on it! I think maybe it was a momentary fluke by one of the newer interns!