Wednesday, June 10, 2020

The Stablemates Riders

My Sampler is coming along surprisingly well; I’m hoping to have it done by the end of the week, except for a few photos of things buried in storage that I plan to dig out during my big “photo show shoot” over the next three weeks.

Yeah, I know, I haven’t even started that project yet. But I’m not overly worried – if I somehow managed to nearly complete my Sampler in little over a week, uploading and taking a few hundred photos in three should be a piece of cake.

A couple of months ago I ran across an article about the difference between being motivated versus being disciplined. I can’t remember if it was about exercising, dieting, or just getting anything done in general during the early days of the quarantine times, but I found it ironically… rather inspirational.

Motivation is unreliable: it comes and goes. But discipline is a habit you can develop. It seems so obvious now, but the message just hit me at the right moment, I guess.

Which is part of the reason why I am so chill about the BreyerFest stuff this year. It does bother me that a lot of the other things I’ve been wanting to get done this year have fallen by the wayside, but at least I am getting some things done, instead of picking at projects whenever I feel like it and then panicking when I realize the deadline is two days from now.

Sometimes getting stuff done now is better than getting it done perfectly never.

Anyway, end of the pep talk. Here’s a recent purchase I am rather pleased by:


It’s those loose Stablemates Riders that they offered back in September 2014. I briefly considered buying them when they were originally offered, but they sold out before I could really think about it anyway.


But since I apparently have a thing for weird Stablemates stuff in general – like my mint in box Wooden Stablemates Stable from 1976, and all those odd 2008 Target Special Run accessory sets I keep telling myself to sell, but I can’t – when I saw a lot full of these pop up on eBay, I couldn’t help myself.

One of my great unfinished projects is documenting all the various, teeny bits and pieces that come with the Stablemate Gift sets. I actually don’t think it will be that difficult, but it will be time consuming.

And time is finite, at the moment. No amount of discipline can change that.

2 comments:

Heather said...

Very cool set! As far as discipline goes though... i find it life sucking at times. That might be because I still have young kids though. Or maybe because I'm getting older? Either way, motivation is way more inspiring for me :) Good read, thank you.

Suzanne said...

Ha, I tend toward “motivation” rather than “discipline”. Sometimes inspiration comes in the small hours of the night before a deadline...there’s no way to know if that same inspiration would have occurred earlier if following a consistent schedule, or if it was the last minute scramble and the adrenaline that brought it. But as I get older, it’s no longer practical to count on getting things done in one last minute rush, and I admire the notion of discipline...just not enough to cultivate any (yet).

The riders are neat! -Except for the jockey, those loose stirrups would drive me nuts!!

While I’m writing here, I thought I’d share a recent EBay adventure. Looking at grey Appaloosa FAF’s. Found this one:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-1950-s-Breyer-Appaloosa-Colt-PLEASE-READ-THE-DESCRIPTION/313111045789?hash=item48e6df669d:g:Z9cAAOSwnv9ezUti

The last picture seemed to show AN ADDITIONAL MOLD MARK OPPOSITE THE BREYER MOLD MARK-!

“Should I bid right now? -or would that draw attention to this auction? How much should I bid? Am I really the sort of collector who would fully appreciate such a rare and significant model?”

Then I reviewed the pictures on a larger screen...the lesson being, never shop by smartphone!!