Saturday, April 18, 2020

Virtual Reality

To clarify to everyone, there will be paper versions of the Sampler available to anyone who wants them. I am just assuming that if I make a downloadable PDF, the downloads will outnumber requests for paper copies.

In case you haven’t heard yet, even the original “nerd prom” – San Diego Comicon – has been canceled this year. As in canceled-canceled, not just moved online in some fashion. I was expecting this also, since it’s at least three to five times the size of BreyerFest (depending on how you count either) and with a crowd that tends to exercise considerably less stringent hygiene practices than the model horse hobbyist community.

(I’ve been to enough regional comic conventions. First hand experience here, guys.)

I’m still trying to decide where to go on my alternative vacation – San Diego was never a possibility in the first place, in case you were wondering – and some variations I am exploring will involve Kentucky, with a side trip to the Horse Park also being on the table.

I am also considering doing a “I Can’t Believe There’s No BreyerFest” Party/Event at my house, depending on what restrictions will be in place by Summer. It won’t be BreyerFest, but an incredible simulation!

And even if it can’t happen, I’m having a good time planning it regardless. (Splash Dogs = Vita + Kiddie Pool! Man o’ War Fountain = Birdbath + a Traditional Man o’ War! VIP Lounge = Garden Patio + Beer Cooler! Pal O Mine = My brother in a rubber horse mask!)

As for the Actual-Virtual Fling Thing, they’ve already started providing some updates: extending the Early Bird pricing until April 30, reassuring us that there will be One-Day Stablemates, Raffles, Swag, and even free Domestic and discounted International and Canadian shipping on our purchases.

And even possibly a variation of the NPOD, if I’m reading this quote right?
All ticket holders will have access to this year’s BreyerFest Store Specials, Fling! Pop-up Souvenir Shop models, and exclusive BreyerFest swag, as well as some fun surprises we have planned for the BreyerFest virtual store.
(Emphasis mine.)

Oh, and as I suspected, there was more to the absence of a Decorator in the BreyerFest lineup – they simply added a ninth special!


Boudicca is… intriguing. I’m not a big fan of the Traditional Andalusian Mare, but I do like Mulberry Grays and war paint is an interesting take on the Decorator concept. Since the volunteering thing is an obvious no-go this year (as far as I know!) I’m still on the fence about buying another ticket, or waiting to see what the One-Day Ticket Stablemates will be like.

I have a couple more weeks to decide; in the meantime, I am anxiously awaiting the arrival of my “Stage Three” purchase. (Or: another grail, how is that even possible?)

2 comments:

Denise said...

Thank you Thank you Thank you for making paper copies! Can't wait!

timaru star ii said...

Another great post. I hope your party is a success, in whatever form it takes!
I hadn't quite realized Boudicca is a Mulberry gray. I got the eerie feeling that here is a Decorator which combines both blue and gold, something not seen since Giltedge and Nimbo.