Wednesday, April 15, 2020

The Five Stages of BreyerFest Grief

Because, you know, that announcement on Monday:
  1. Crying.
  2. Eating way too much leftover Easter candy and passing out.
  3. Blowing your BreyerFest fund on an expensive online purchase.
  4. Googling alternative vacation getaways because staying home with family is not an option.
  5. Dusting. 
FYI: I’m currently at Stage 4. (Kentucky Derby tickets cost HOW MUCH? Anyone out there want to go halfsies and be a Thelma to my Louise?)

It’s funny that, no matter how well prepared you think you are for the inevitable, it’s still a punch in the gut. Just last week I was thinking to myself that I hadn’t had any of my usual “BreyerFest Nightmares” yet, but that’s because as the ticket mailing dates kept getting pushed forward, it became very obvious that I didn’t need to dream it, I was living it.

For what it’s worth, I’ll still be doing a MGR Sampler this year, except that it’ll be (primarily) available via a downloadable PDF. I’m also willing to do Zoom sessions either just to hang out, or for general history chat or questions.

(Hence the Stage 5: I don’t need y’all getting judgey on the state of my office!)

I figured that Reeves would eventually – but gradually – add more virtual offerings to the BreyerFest experience, in an effort to be more inclusive to hobbyists with physical or financial limitations. I just had hoped it would have been something done proactively, rather than reactively.

I don’t know how the Room Sales – or any other aspect of this experiment in virtuality – is going to work. I’m not sure The Powers That Be even know at this point.

But I am most intrigued by what they might have in store for the Live Show; I’ve been thinking about showing for the past couple of years, but with all the other stuff I’d have to drag to Kentucky, it never seemed feasible logistically. Now, maybe…?

On the plus side of this development, that means – if we manage to make the virtual interaction part of this work, via Zoom or whatever platform Reeves decides to use – that means Vita finally gets to attend BreyerFest!

More thoughts about this later in the week.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Andrea
While I know you're *immensely* disappointed @ not being able to go to BREYERFEST (as are we all!) PLEASE PLEASE *DON'T* make your yearly SAMPLER (*only* available via PDF!!
One of my *favorite* reasons for being able to come to Breyerfest (besides seeing/talking with you and others!) was being able to have a PHYSICAL copy of your little historical newsletter!!(along with the flyers and other PAPER items the vendors/sellers had out and about!)
The *biggest* problem I see with this --is with the national shut down the way it is, I will have NO WAY of printing out a personal copy!(I'm probably in the minority here--but this is my FIRST time *ever* owning a personal lap top and I'm *still* trying to learn the "ins and outs"!
I do NOT own a printer (and with government officials now deciding FOR YOU what's now "essential" and what' not--who knows *when* that'll even be allowed??)
My main concern with BREYERFEST going virtual, is will I even be able to view the events?? (I've never even heard of ZOOM until recently--and what I've heard is NOT good!!) Will I even be able to get my SPEC. RUN models??
PLEASE PLEASE re-think this! Once BREYERFEST is over, the *physical* part is what keeps the GOOD memories of the event alive!

Salem said...

Ditto both Andrea and Anonymous. I will pay postage and even a fee for an original copy.

ANDREA said...

I do intend on having some available for people who prefer paper! The plus side is that I'll be able to print them on demand.

More on this as we all figure this out.

Denise said...

Thank you Andrea! I too would be more than happy to pay postage, etc. for a Sampler! I too eagerly look forward to the Sampler and love printed material. Sounds like there are atleast 3 of us who are in the minority!

Anonymous said...

Yes me too! I have most if not all of your samplers!

Yvonne said...

I would be in HEAVEN if you made ALL your Samplers available via PDF! They were top on my list of "must haves" when I attended Breyerfest and I haven't been there in the last 8 or 9 years, so I have missed out on SO MUCH of your excellent info!

Anonymous said...

I would pay for one, too!