Thursday, September 15, 2011

At Random

Been in a quiet, contemplative mood for the past few days. The weather’s been cool and rainy, a reminder that the Fall season is on its way. Fall is my least favorite time of the year, as I may have explained before: about the only thing it has going for it is cheap school supplies.

Haven’t been thinking much about the horses, either, other than the sales items I’ve been posting on MHSP.

Sales are going okay. More would be better, but I’m grateful to have sold what I have so far in this market. I’ll continue to list things through the end of September, then I’ll move on to different moneymaking venture for the month of October. Still trying to decide what, exactly. (Etsy? eBay? Banner ads on the blog?)


One of the ideas I’m mulling over is finally releasing the contents of Marney’s photo album. Most of the work is done; I just haven’t been sufficiently motivated to "package" it. I know there’s a market for it: if there’s one thing that sells consistently, it’s reference information, especially about hobby history.


(There’s no rhyme or reason to the pictures scattered throughout this post; I just picked a few from the album at random. Mostly for your enjoyment, and partly to taunt you.)

I am also seriously contemplating doing NaNoWriMo this year. I have an idea that’s been rattling around in my head for a while, and it feels like it’s ready to be written. I’ll have to dig out my research notes and character sketches to see if any of the material is salvageable.


I never actually "wrote" any of it. Just like the rest of my writing, I need a certain level of familiarity with the subject matter before I feel comfortable enough to string words together. That’s why I haven’t covered some rather obvious subjects here, yet: if I don’t have a sufficient mastery of the material, I don’t feel I could write about it in a competent manner.

If I can’t write about it competently, whatever I do write will feel like a disservice to my readers. Nothing aggravates me more than to read something by someone who clearly didn’t do the homework (that would cover most of the Internet, I think.)


I better log off early today, and finish wrapping up some of those packages.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I thought I left a comment earlier, but maybe I hit the wrong button!
I would really appreciate you sharing the photos that were Marney's here on your blog or perhaps on the Hobby History Facebook Page...from your links of interest...(a few posts there need to be deleted).
I don't know what NaNoWriMo is about....perhaps something from a past blog post...could you fill me in, please? It's Friday, I'm old and slow!!!
Thanks again Andrea,!

ANDREA said...

NaNoWriMo is "National Novel Writing Month." It's a competition to encourage people to get off their fannies and write that novel they keep saying they will write.

You have to write a novel of 50,000 words in the space of a month (November) to "win." Doesn't matter what genre or format. No plot? No problem!

My idea is best described as "slipstream". A little bit of horse stuff in it, but it doesn't really dominate the narrative. (I already have 7000 words of one of those sitting on this very laptop.)

Anonymous said...

Love those horses! Wonder who has 'em now?

Kirsten Wellman said...

Oh, you are such a tease! Can't wait for more pix of Marney's horses! :)