Monday, March 9, 2020

Health and Safety

The primary components of cellulose acetate, the stuff that (most) Breyer models are made of, are cellulose and acetic acid. The vinegary “New Horse Smell” we experience when we open up our latest acquisitions is the acetic acid: vinegar is, more or less, a diluted form of it.

Vinegar is considered a disinfectant, though it is not as effective as commercially made disinfectants.

What I’m saying here is that your new 2020 Traditional-scale Breyers don’t pose a significant health risk, because the stuff they are made of is somewhat self-disinfecting.

Once it’s out of the box it’s another game altogether. Anyone who’s bought anything second hand – sometimes even from other hobbyists – knows Breyers can get real funky, real fast.

(Oh, you know I have stories!)

When that happens, the safest and most effective cleaning solution for most Breyer models is warm water and a good quality dish soap like Dawn.

Diluted Bleach or Vinegar (not both together!) can also be used, but come with some risks. They can cause “milkiness” (basically turning the clear topcoats found on earlier Breyers opaque), can corrode metallic paints, and if left in a solution for an extended period of time can flake the finish off completely.

I am supposing – I am not in the loop about this, so don’t quote me – that in regards to COVID-19, Reeves is in the process of developing contingency plans for both the Seattle Soiree and BreyerFest.

Cancellation is probably their very last resort. As in, I think it is extremely unlikely. But being prepared for worst-case scenarios is never a bad thing.

For what it’s worth, my hobby plans have not changed. I am relatively healthy (aside from some minor chronic conditions) and I’ve had good hygiene practices drilled into me from an early age. (Many members of my extended family have worked in either healthcare, or in food services.) 

But I am not a health care expert, and I am not you. I would urge you to take the time now to review your own situation and plan accordingly.

2 comments:

Little Black Car said...

From what I've read so far, vinegar is not effective against COVID-19. Bleach is, but, yes, not good for Breyers. I'd go with the same method you use for hands: 20+ seconds of good, foamy, soap and agitation.

Suzanne said...

Sorry if this repeats, I think I erased my comment before posting.
I wondered how soon I'd see concerns over imported Breyers!

I think there must be stronger chemicals present- aren't the paints lacquer based? It seems like there should be good ventilation in the factory, and safety masks worn to avoid fumes. I'm sure workers wear gloves if only to avoid smudgy fingerprints.