Monday, December 16, 2019

The Madness

After having read through a big chunk of the Collector’s Club Appreciation social media brouhaha, I now find myself longing for the days when our biggest arguments were over Palomino Arabians and Breed Standards for Unicorns.

I still don’t see this Glossy Madness ending until this sale – or a variation of it – basically offers Glossies On Demand.

Though to be honest, The Madness wouldn’t go away, it’d just move to another target. I’m old enough to remember when the 1984 Just About Horses Saddlebred Weanling was selling for $250-400 on the secondary market: I was just on eBay earlier today, and saw one for $45 getting no apparent interest. 

(It’s still too soon to tell, but I think it would be absolutely hilarious if it turns out that Reeves actually tailored the quantities of the first set of Glosses to meet hobbyist/collector interest – so we end up with lots of Verdadeses, and not a lot of Enzos?)

Moving on to lighter subjects, here’s Reuben:


He’ll look fabulous next to my BreyerFest Bowland! The only other Charolais Bulls I have at the moment are a “pinto” version of the original #365 release, the Special Run Simmental made for Robbins Weathervane – new in box(!), and what I assume is a cull of the Special Run Red Shorthorn, also for Robbins.

I had the PBR Signature one, too, but I sold him a little while ago when I was doing a bit of a culling of my Cattle molds. While I liked the release itself just fine, I had a strange/awkward experience when I bought him from a local store, and I really didn’t want to be reminded of that every time I saw him. 

I just order my Stablemates Club Corbin – the past couple of weeks have been nothing if not distracting, hence my delay – that I am hoping will be my last hobby purchases of the year.

As I’ve said before, I’ve had a really good run of luck recently, so whatever Reeves throws our way on Christmas Eve/Day will have to be something pretty darn special for me to reconsider tapping my bank account. I’d rather let someone else who wants it more get it, and not be an intermediary in the process.

1 comment:

Sophia said...

Hi! I have a collectibility question regarding one of my models. I have a traditional “Rain” from the Spirit Collection who is resin. She looks identical to the plastic version. I purchased her in the Breyer Store two years ago so she is definitely OF, although she is not on Identify Your Breyer. According to someone in the Breyer Store, the model was produced in plastic, resin, and porcelain. That is all the information she gave me. Do you have any knowledge of these models? A collectibility judge at my last show said that Breyer occasionally created resin-infused plastic models but l would love to know more history about why they did this and maybe try to figure out how many were made of my Rain model. I believe there were two or three for sale in total at the Breyer Store but I have never seen any others, and the judge believes she is an extremely limited model. Any information you have would be great! She is definitely a mystery in my collection. :)