Wednesday, November 13, 2019

Starry Skies, but...

As someone who unreasonably loves glow-in-the-dark things and also collects vintage Astronomy textbooks, these Starry Skies Constellation Unicorns are definitely in my wheelhouse.



Yet like a lot of collectors, I still haven’t clicked the buy button yet.

Money is not the issue: I have had enough fundage to buy two grails recently, one of them (pretty much) at retail.

The selection of molds and colors is also fine, though I am a little baffled at the antagonism the poor G2 Clydesdale Stallion is receiving as a result of inclusion in this assortment.

It seems obvious to me that when Reeves went about selecting older Stablemates molds to “unicornize”, the G2 Clydesdale was an obvious choice. He’s definitely kind of a “prancey” and fanciful mold, especially when compared to the other SM Draft molds. I am assuming that he was also selected for variety’s sake: Othello mold aside, it’s not every day – even in the hobby – that you see Draft Horse Unicorns.

Yeah, they could lighten up on the light blue-teal-green color scheme he always gets stuck with. I can imagine there would be a lot less grumbling about his inclusion if he were a Gloss Charcoal or Silver Filigree…

And I, too, am getting a wee bit fed up with this Alborozo blind bag nonsense: unless there’s some contractual issue to the contrary, just release the darn thing as an individually carded Regular Run item in a normal, non-fantasy color already. You don’t even have to put it into the standard Dealer’s Assortment, just pack it up separately in cases of 12 or 24. 

Please and thank you. 

Finally, it seems silly to even consider the inconsequential amount of stress the uncertainty a Blind Bag adds to my world (a “First World” problem, almost by definition), but it is an issue for me, nevertheless: I am already on the verge of being overrun with everything at the moment.

If this had been offered as a 4-piece boxed set or even a boxed and carded assortment, they’d be on their way here already.

But as the offer stands, I’m hesitant. Whether or not I reconsider will depend on their availability, and how the rest of my week goes.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

And this is the 10th painted Alborozo and now 9 out of 10 that are not a realistic horse color! I want real horses in real horse colors please!!!

Anonymous said...

The unicorn aspect makes them just too silly for me. Otherwise, I like the concept of glow-in-the-dark constellation fanstasy SMs. So, I'm a pass on these.

Yvonne said...

I am SO unicorn-stablemated out...

Anonymous said...

Wait a second, they are $25 EACH? I will stick with the Walmart and Tractor Supply unicorns, thank you very much! These are nice, but I'm not paying $25 each for a Stablemate. I can get a second hand Traditional in very nice condition for that price. I have been having fun with the Stablemate unicorn blind bags though....for $3-$5 a piece.

Christi said...

I have four of these, because I'm also a glow-in-the-dark fan and astronomy buff. My mild animosity about the Drafter is that I ordered 9 of the series with the blue Alborozo from Breyer - spread over 4 or 5 orders - and got 7, yes 7, drafters. The other two were Magnolias. I'm overstocked on Drafter unicorns, the barn is full, no vacancy.

We won't discuss how many Albys I have roaming the house, from trying to find the blue and silver ones. Keep a couuple, CM a couple, and maybe sell the rest, or give them away to random strangers.