Thursday, March 22, 2018

Infinite Shades of Gray

Isn’t she lovely?


I had figured a variation of Flea-bitten Gray was a possibility; the previous two Volunteer Models Assam and Caipirinha both came in intriguing new interpretations of the color, so it’s obviously something they’ve been thinking about and experimenting with.

But Dappled Rose Gray? The rest of the hobby seems to be down for that, and I’m okay with it, too!

All things considered, it’s rather remarkable that Reeves was able to come up with yet another fresh and different take in the realm of Gray.

I had discounted the notion a bit because there have been a lot of Gray Proud Arabian Mares over the years, both as Regular Runs and Special Runs. And Test Colors, too, both old and new.

The Special Run Grays have been especially attractive and desirable ones. There’s the scarce and highly desirable 1986 Rose Gray Live Show Special, the 1991/2 Fleabitten Gray in the Arabian Horses of the World Gift Set from the Sears Wishbook, the 1994 Just About Horses Special Steel Dust, the 2002 Tour Special Banat er Rih, and the Exclusive Event La Jolla in 2012.

While Sierra Rose will likely join their company, I still happen to think she will be a smaller run for all the reasons I outlined before: being Vintage, slightly dated, under contractual restrictions, and so on.

For that reason I also think it’s unlikely she’ll be the Gloss/Matte split: those releases tend to be larger runs, and more modern molds. I still believe the Appaloosa Ruffian Dead Heat is the more likely candidate for that treatment.

My only reservation about Sierra Rose is that Reeves is making it very, very difficult to stick to my budget: I already have the Glossy Foiled Again and Elk penciled in as must-haves, the Icabad Crane and Old Ironsides are leaning in that direction, and we still have half the Ticket Specials and all the Pop-Up Store items yet to be revealed.

 (It’s a good problem to have, but it’s still a problem.)

4 comments:

Corky said...

She's extremely nice. I sold my Steeldust years ago, and have been kicking myself ever since.

Anonymous said...

I think she's lovely!

SmartAlex said...

I just love the color. I've always liked the mold, and the deep chestnut knees against the neat white socks really appeal to me. That's not always an attractive color on a live horse, but it looks great on her.

Truson said...

She is also a chalky! I got it straight from Breyer at BreyerWest that the production run models are as chalky as the one that was on display at BreyerWest.